my 1991 Renault 5 GT Turbo

hi people thought id post a few pics of my r5 gt turbo i bought this car for 1k and what a bargain it is :D

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00006-1.jpg

Image0155.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

Image0156.jpg

Marvellous, at the pace he is going when do you think the keys will be put back into your hands and your wallet getting wrenched open to much fanfare? ;)

thats a good question mate and one i dont have the answer to, im not in any rush for the car as its not used in winter anyway :)

ah yes the good old wallet lightener haha, good thing is im getting it all at mates rates which is going save me a small fortune.

i popped up the garage after work and my god does it look good especially as the welds have been grinded down and liquid rubber applied to a few areas to build it up, you cant even see that there has been any welding done
i took a few quick pics they aint the best though also got a couple of random exhaust pics see if you can spot the state of the floor pan drivers side its virtually all got be replaced.
2012-10-18152444.jpg

2012-10-18152420.jpg

2012-10-18134538.jpg

2012-10-18134502.jpg

thanks mate, off up the garage again on monday to take him some money up so id imagine there will be more progress he reckoned he can do a few hours today and half day on saturday.

so i went up to see my mate up at the garage to drop him some money off and see how things are going etc, to say he was a bit gutted would be an understatement as he had ran out of gas and the spare bottle he has was leant out to a mate who decided to return it back empty and not tell him :( nice eh.

iv also ordered a brand new genuine jacking point for the drivers side as mine is non existent

overall though things are looking good plenty of extra bits have been done that iv not got pics of yet.

just curious did you know the rust was this bad when you bought the car and did you intended to restore the car??
or did you find out later and just had to restore it cause how much fun they are and how rare these 5's are becoming??

i knew the drivers side was a tad sketchy when i bought it, but obviously over 3 years its got worse.
was always my intention to restore it at some point as i really cant see myself without this car for a long time, it would have to be something really special and very quick to get me away from it.

For you to see that much damage and then to carry on with the restoration is just showing true love from you to your baby! ;)

Stick with it buddy, I have even shown this thread to a couple of chaps at work to follow.

cheers matey thin you have hit the nail on the head there my mrs would agree with the baby bit lol

think thats mad that you have got workmates interested in the thread cheers pal :)

haha i think im going rename my lady wilmer :)

funnily enough i just popped up the garage and iv been removing some sound deadening out the boot.

also wait until you see the new pics ill have as there is no floor pan hardly left in the drivers side, luckily my mate at gt turbo spares is sending me a floor pan up with seat mounts etc.

on the plus side my drivers side inner sill is now welded in place, new floor pan comes on tuesday.

Last edited:
not much to report on the welding front this week as my mate is very busy with other jobs, on the other hand i bought the fuel pump and fuel filter brackets home to clean up and paint, i also bought the seat belt storks home to clean up and paint as the bottoms were starting to rust.

onto more interesting things, iv ordered a full set of ferodo ds2500 brake pads which should be the finishing article to my brake system

engine wise i will be installing the brand new nodiz ignition management system which will give huge gains as the standard aei is pants with anything other than standard boost etc. I have also sorted a deal out with someone for a set of roller rockers for a very good price im looking forward to seeing what difference these can make.

haha cheers fella its a long process but its getting there

bit of an update, removed my tubular manifold as iv sold it to a guy local to me. i want go back to standard manifold as it sounds so much better.

also iv removed my turbo and will be sending it to my mate to get a billet comp wheel fitted look forward to seeing what it can do compared to the pulsat t28 wheel

pic of billet vs pulsar t28
image_1352565812474607.jpg

cool 1991 model bro and looking nice after so many years.

*Removed URL link as per our T&C's*

Good news indeed, remember to let me know when you have collected the car and where the first show your going to display it at will be! :)
As long as it does not clash with The Saab owners club International in August or Swedish Day in May or my 50th birthday in May, then rest assured buddy I shall be there with my camera cheering you on :lol:

Good news indeed, remember to let me know when you have collected the car and where the first show your going to display it at will be! :)
As long as it does not clash with The Saab owners club International in August or Swedish Day in May or my 50th birthday in May, then rest assured buddy I shall be there with my camera cheering you on :lol:

Remember a pic or 2! :lol:

50?!?!?

Your surely not Oz!.... Far to young looking to be near that age! :blink:

Remember a pic or 2! :lol:

50?!?!?

Your surely not Oz!.... Far to young looking to be near that age! :blink:

:lol: I am a living testimony that Olay Regenerist Daily Serum works, look out for my latest TV advertising campaign coming soon :bigsmile: