More Power Needed

vti

Wrench Pro
Car
98 Civic 1.6vti
Well lads just posting this looking for some good advice and prob guides on what would be the best type of mods i could make to my 98 civic 1.6 vti dohc?? :confused:
I have a few mods made to it already and im not intrested in replacing the engine in it yet however the mods I have in my car at the moment are as follows:
Lowered 40, 15'' alloys, cat back system incl 4-1 manifold, cold air intake with direct cold air from outside my car through a hole in my bumper into a pipe runing to the air filter then to my manifold!
Standard; Clutch, Gearbox etc!!
What could b the best thing to go for next most importantly for more power then what i could do over time?? :)
Might remap it at another date but would like to mod it more b4 i get it remapped!

Thanks Lads!!

yeah ill take some 2moro and put them up right away!
Yeah I have it de-cated aswell as a full ss ehaust nd a 4 - 1 four branch manifold?

None of that list!What would make the most power apart from the nitro :L

Cams will give you more power.
Lightening the pulleys will give you better acceleration.
And strut braces will keep everything nice and tight through the twisties so you can use the power more.

Last edited:
Ok I'm waiting for my tea to finish cooking so I'll ive a proper answer. There's a lot you can do to make your car quicker, without making it more powerful. You could improve your existing setup for a start.

1. Make sure the engine is runnin as it should. Give it a full service. Oil and filter change with GOOD QUALITY oil. New plugs, leads, gearbox oil, coolant etc etc. Run some injection cleaner through, clean and re-oil (if needed) your air filter.

2. Look to lose some weight. Not you, the car lol. Ditch the spare wheel and get some holts tyre repair. How much else you lose will depend on comfort/passengers etc. For example, if you never use your rear seats, why keep them in? They're slowing down your car and using more fuel.

2. Your exhaust system. Lag with exhaust wrap or ceramic coating depending on budget. This will help keep the heat in and speed up gas flow. Do your manifold too if it's stainless. Cast will crack.

3. Lightening of the drivetrain. If you can take it off yourself you can have the flywheel lightened for as little as £60. Lightweight cam (as said) and even crank pulley. Having big heavy wheels on will sap acceleration greatly. You want lightweight wheels and nuts it possible.

4. Your cold air feed. You want a smooth one for air flow.

5. Remap.

That's all I can think of atm really. Beyond that it gets expensive. Head work, standalone, supercharging etc etc.

Last edited:
MA beat me to it! Good job there mate.

Assuming this is a daily drive... don't add nitrous. What suspension set up do you have?

Ok I'm waiting for my tea to finish cooking so I'll ive a proper answer. There's a lot you can do to make your car quicker, without making it more powerful. You could improve your existing setup for a start.

1. Make sure the engine is runnin as it should. Give it a full service. Oil and filter change with GOOD QUALITY oil. New plugs, leads, gearbox oil, coolant etc etc. Run some injection cleaner through, clean and re-oil (if needed) your air filter.

2. Look to lose some weight. Not you, the car lol. Ditch the spare wheel and get some holts tyre repair. How much else you lose will depend on comfort/passengers etc. For example, if you never use your rear seats, why keep them in? They're slowing down your car and using more fuel.

2. Your exhaust system. Lag with exhaust wrap or ceramic coating depending on budget. This will help keep the heat in and speed up gas flow. Do your manifold too if it's stainless. Cast will crack.

3. Lightening of the drivetrain. If you can take it off yourself you can have the flywheel lightened for as little as £60. Lightweight cam (as said) and even crank pulley. Having big heavy wheels on will sap acceleration greatly. You want lightweight wheels and nuts it possible.

4. Your cold air feed. You want a smooth one for air flow.

5. Remap.

That's all I can think of atm really. Beyond that it gets expensive. Head work, standalone, supercharging etc etc.

Cheers!Well i have da air con out and my spare wheel ot and a full exhaust system inc 4-1 manifold(s/s),ind kit and getting a lighten flywheel now for next weekend then prob hoping to upgrade the cams!

MA beat me to it! Good job there mate.

Assuming this is a daily drive... don't add nitrous. What suspension set up do you have?

I have a tenzo r lowering springs(40mm)
Also have the standard fin shaped vti alloys on her 195/50/15
Yeah everyday drive!

Find out how much your car weighs as standard, and then weigh everything you remove with one of those luggage weighing handle thingys. It gets well addictive and helps you keep track of your power to weight ratio.

Find out how much your car weighs as standard, and then weigh everything you remove with one of those luggage weighing handle thingys. It gets well addictive and helps you keep track of your power to weight ratio.

Thats a pretty good idea. You could also use some fishing scales.

Get rid of the 4-1 exhaust manifold and get a decent 4-2-1. You'll see less power higher in the rev range but more low down grunt.

4-1's are more race spec manifolds, made for high revs

Last edited:
Get rid of the 4-1 exhaust manifold and get a decent 4-2-1. You'll see less power higher in the rev range but more low down grunt.

4-1's are more race spec manifolds, made for high revs

The 4-1 works better with Civic and more torque is definitely needed. I've researched into it and was told my Hond-R the 4-1 is the way to go.