Modern cars better or worse

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
With all their gadgets and computers do you think modern cars are better or worse than the simpler older cars?

Are there plus points on both sides?

Will modern cars still be running in 20 or 30 years time?

modern cars are better in terms of
bhp-ftlb / Ltr - how many cars got 100bhp per ltr 20 years ago.
economy - now weve got 2ltr turbos that can get 40mpg
convenience - climate control, cruise control, electric windows etc are standard on just about everything now.

however the problems are the ECUs. some models if a headlight bulb blows it requires a trip to the dealers / mechanic to reset the fault codes.
fact theres no room in the engine bay for you to do alot of work yourself without a lot of cursing and shreaded hands

old cars are better as there is far more room for improvement, no computors to worry about,plus they look better.
none of this "they all look the same to me" buisiness

Having just had a collision in a modern car and come out of it with no more than some abrasions from the plethora of airbags and some bad brusing I have to say modern cars are infinitely superior.

I think we all live under the "it'll never happen to me illusion" which is why we give car safety little consideration and we still haven't written out a will!

Modern cars are certainly a lot heavier than they were 20 years ago but if I were in an accident I would want the impact bars and airbags. (Hmm new thread idea.....)