Modded Rover25 diesel owner

Skelo

Tuner
Car
Modded Rover 25 tdi
Came across the site quite by accident, very glad i did tho :)

I've got a Rover 25 modded turbo diesel, running approx 150bhp, and well over 200ftlb of torque.

Looking forward to having a good look around, and having fun!!

Cheers
Dave

The very same, long time no see.

Cheers
Dave

I still post in the ZS section but don't bother too much otherwise, got a bit cheesed off with some anal moderation going on!

However I am also one of the site owners of theMGZS.co.uk so I spend a fair amount of time on there.

This site is great, a nice bunch of people on here and feel at home. There's a nice mix of people doing various things from mild to the extreme and enjoy the interaction.

Do the older injectors really help? Might it be better have them firing at higher pressure to achieve better fuel atomization?

I'm not to familiar with the engine though. Is the injection under ECU management or is it controlled by the fuel distributor?

Do the older injectors really help? Might it be better have them firing at higher pressure to achieve better fuel atomization?

I'm not to familiar with the engine though. Is the injection under ECU management or is it controlled by the fuel distributor?
The injectors really do help, there would be no way to easily achieve 150bhp without them. Not without buying a hybrid turbo, which has recently found to cause HGF eventually on our normally bullt proof engines.

The non-intercooled engine has a mechanical pump, the SDi/TDi are ecu controlled, altho the SDi, can't be re-mapped via the diagnostic socket.

Cheers
Dave

The injectors really do help, there would be no way to easily achieve 150bhp without them. Not without buying a hybrid turbo, which has recently found to cause HGF eventually on our normally bullt proof engines.

The non-intercooled engine has a mechanical pump, the SDi/TDi are ecu controlled, altho the SDi, can't be re-mapped via the diagnostic socket.

Cheers
Dave

Right, thanks, understand now. It seems those engines are a bit of a hybrid between traditional and high-technology diesel engines. I don't know much about them to be honest, except that they used to be far livlier than the PSA XUDT 1.9 units of the mid-late 1990's.

My own car has the common rail type of system so what we've done is to electronically lift the max-admissible boost pressure, increase the fuel rail pressure EARLIER in the rev range (but no exceeding the standard maximum) and then alter fuel timing and duration. This, thankfully was all done via the OBDII port with no mechanical changes at all.

It works though, monster torque over 320lbft and 190+ bhp. I don't have the ability to do things 'organically' as you've done - my hands-on mechanical skills are poor and stop beyond anything more complex than replacing an air filter panel or a blown lamp.

Right, thanks, understand now. It seems those engines are a bit of a hybrid between traditional and high-technology diesel engines. I don't know much about them to be honest, except that they used to be far livlier than the PSA XUDT 1.9 units of the mid-late 1990's.

My own car has the common rail type of system so what we've done is to electronically lift the max-admissible boost pressure, increase the fuel rail pressure EARLIER in the rev range (but no exceeding the standard maximum) and then alter fuel timing and duration. This, thankfully was all done via the OBDII port with no mechanical changes at all.

It works though, monster torque over 320lbft and 190+ bhp. I don't have the ability to do things 'organically' as you've done - my hands-on mechanical skills are poor and stop beyond anything more complex than replacing an air filter panel or a blown lamp.
Sounds like a very nice increase you have made to your car, nothing to get oil onto your hands with the common rail engines, its all electronic!!

I have had to re-map my car, to accomodate the injectors.

The old XUD engine was in the MK2 200/MK1 400 wedge shape rovers, but my knowledge about them is very limited.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Cheers
Dave

well i been learnin little bits for the last few years, and have done a fair amount in my mates workshops including a handfull of engine transplants on mistubishi legnums among many other things... but i am no way near experienced lol,
i was searching the web for power curve maps to compare 2 types of turbo when i came accross this site, and well im chuffed to bits so far i must say! best site i have come accross so far!

Came across the site quite by accident, very glad i did tho :)

I've got a Rover 25 modded turbo diesel, running approx 150bhp, and well over 200ftlb of torque.

Looking forward to having a good look around, and having fun!!

Cheers
Dave

that's cool power for diesel car. how did you ? thru ECU, or by turbo?
honestly i have no idea about tuning diesel cars.

I'll do a list of performance mods done to my car

SDi injectors from the older L series diesel engine (these flow more fuel, for the same throttle position)
Straight through stainless exhaust (including de-cat pipe)
K4.80 Green cotton cone filter
Upped the turbo boost to 19psi
Large FMIC from a Landrover 300tdi
Finally a Re-map to make the most of the mods.

There are hybrid turbos, but on the later L series cars, they are prone to HGF, on the SDI engine, they seem to be fine with a hybrid turbo for some reason.
The hybrid will take turbo boost to 26psi.

Cheers
Dave

An FMIC is a Front Mounted InterCooler

This replaces the original intercooler, and allow inlet temperatures to be very much lower.
Thus helping performance.

Cheers
Dave

Hello and a belated but warm welcome to TorqueCars from me!;) Good to have you along. Glad to see you like your cars as much as we all do!

An FMIC is a Front Mounted InterCooler

This replaces the original intercooler, and allow inlet temperatures to be very much lower.
Thus helping performance.

Cheers
Dave

ahh i am with u i know what it was i just never heard it referred to as a FMIC before so it through me a little bit lol, my bad

cheers

yip watch out for initialisms ( better keep OG happy id have called them acronyms )

FMIC - Front mount Inter Cooler
SMIC - Side Mount Inter Cooler
TMIC - Top Mount Inter Cooler ( think scoobys)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back