mk2 Mondeo, Petrol or Diesel

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
What a dilema, Which to buy for around £2500, a petrol or diesel mondeo and at what mileage? Any ideas, Cheers'o

I'd avoid the diesel models before the TDCi engines were introduced. I think this means post 2001 in thecase of the Ford Mondeo.

Note that the TDDi engine is NOT the same as TDCi. These, too, are best avoided. Not bad but the TDCi engines are so much sweeter than the earlier ones. THe even earlier 1.8TD is a bus, leave alone is my advice.

You could get a very nice petrol V6 for £2500 though. I think I'd go that way simply because of the less prescriptive servicing it requires compared to the diesel models.

I was looking at the V6's but the mpg is not too good for a 2.5 and the output is barely any better than the 2ltr (27mpg V 35mpg)

I was looking at the V6's but the mpg is not too good for a 2.5 and the output is barely any better than the 2ltr (27mpg V 35mpg)

They can be a bit thirsty I agree. Depends largely upon driving mode as well. I can make a Punto 1.2 drink and a 540i sip if I want to.

The 2.0 was once said to feel torque shy compared to the 1.8. I don't understand that either but it was said, apparently, although this is possibly back in the early 93-94 models.

The later Zetec engines are very good indeed though. Go for a manual one, the Ford AT is a bit slushy.

The power output of the V6 isn't huge over the 2.0 but to drive it's much more invigorating and refined at the same time.

I thought the duratec came later except for the st focus which was a rebadged zetec

I am looking at post mid 2003 models

the V6 is thirsty but a good strong engine, where as the deisels tend to be fairly nippy with good economy, pretty much the balance, but the is one of the 2002 TDCi engines are known for having very complicated and expensive injector problems and as far as i am aware there is still no permanant cure for it....

The 02 TDCi engines are very good indeed, apart from, besides, the injector issues. Sometimes I think that supermarket fuel is a contributory factor.

The bigger problem with modern diesels is the massive flywheel torque and the battering it gives dual mass flywheels and engine mountings.

Ford cleverly coded each injector to the ECU and car, which makes for expensive replacement if they fail.

A 2.2 TDCi with a remap is a formidable drive, the '07 on model is sensational. Same prescriptive maintenance applies though.

If you go down the comomon rail route then please do stick with branded fuel.