mazda 6 2.3 tune up

paolucci101

Car
03 mazda6 2.3 sport
Hi everyone, have been reading the articles on tuning bits and it's very informative, lots of questions answered for me so Im hoping I can get some good advice from you guys!!
I have a '03 mazda 6 2.3 sport with 100k on the clock. I had one 5 years ago and had to sell for house move!!. This one feels a bit sluggish although the other one had done 60k even then. I want to tune up without stripping the engine, after reading your advice am I right in saying firstly change to better leads and plugs, new induction kit, maybe better header pipes (4-2-1)or polish the original. (don't really want to change the CAT because of MOT) and then lastly get a re-map or a different ECU. If so where's the best place to find quality items at trade price as I am now a body repairer!! Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars car Forum :)

Feel free to have a look around the website, there are many varied and interesting articles to read on all manner of car modifying subjects.
Also, you may find our members project threads and photo gallery very useful as a source of inspirational ideas towards your own very special project!

Enjoy! :)

Thanks, I will probably be on here a lot. people go nuts when it comes to their cars and know their stuff! I don't want to make silly or costly mistakes!!!!

Thanks T9man, I just tried fr and r tuning but they don't do much for a 2.3 only brakes,sussies and re-maps or is that what you meant? I've seen lots of stuff elsewhere for other mazda's but not much for the 2.3 n.aspirated engine. Can I use any ford tuning bits ie; isn't this an MZR (duratec)engine type?

Not up on Mazda tbh, although I do know that they share components I am not sure to what extent. Someone is bound to know the answers and should be along in a while.

Hi there, I hope you are well. May I wish you a warm welcome to TorqueCars, it is a pleasure to meet you.

You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll start to love and enjoy the forums as much as we all do. (It gets quite addictive at times.)

Feel free to get involved in our other threads, all opinions are welcome and as they say "the more the merrier"! (It's also great when people start new threads and discussions and all adds to the great debate.)

Keep us up to date with your project as well, we like to see what people are getting up to with their cars.

Thank you all.
I've found out today that the best tuning tip for the 2.3 n/a (without getting silly!) is go for a remap first before spending money on bits and pieces or just buy an MPS!! (I've always wanted one but they are just too thirsty!!) I don't think I can get a big increase in power but anything would be better!! I will find out more about the remap route and let you know, unless someone here already has the answer??? Cheers for now.

No worries. mazda were(are?) owned by Ford so I think a lot of components are in common, but it can sometimes be hard to identify exactly which ones. Go back to the part numbers of the actual components themselves if you can. Mazda 3/6 MPS are getting cheaper these days.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back