Main dealers offloading tradein's on ebay

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
I am currently looking for a cheap diesel. I found something that fitted the bill on ebay, A trade in from a main dealer. The site stated as the cars were trade ins they had not been mechanically inspected or inspected at all and of course recommended a viewing, So I did view. The car was a no hoper, Suspension didn't work (Hydropneumatic), Engine smoked an awful lot etc. On my way out I had a chat with the mechanic and to cut a long story short he winked the wink as if to say they know the car is a dud. Unfortunately bidding was fierce and the car was sold.poor person should have took a look first.

There are a lot of dubious cars disposed of this way. Auctions, online or not, are very risky to the uninitiated and can turn out to be expensive mistakes.

A lot of people "stitch up the trade" with duff cars because they know it is not worth anything privately. I've heard of people putting sand & other stuff in gearboxes to cover up the noises and other nasty tricks.

My sister bought a new Suzuki Swift from the main agent and traded in a very warn Seat Arosa - the dealer advised anything over 5yrs old, in whatever condition, they just automatically send to the auction to get rid of them as they dont want any hastle.