LED light concern

possumhunter

Car
peugeot 207
Hi All, a newby here with a minor electrical question. I have an 11 plate peugeot 207 and recently changed the sidelight bulbs (W5W) to blue LED lamps, they seem to work fine and look pretty cool, BUT, when I turn off the ignition/lock the car they flash rapidly for about a minute?, this worries me a little as I am concerned that they may be causing some damage or preventing other systems from working properly, any help appreciated, cheers

Hi guys, thanks for the response but I am not convinced,
1 - the car has not got an alarm
2 - it is the sidelight bulbs that I replaced not the indicators
I may remove them for the time being :-(

Hi guys, thanks for the response but I am not convinced,
1 - the car has not got an alarm
2 - it is the sidelight bulbs that I replaced not the indicators
I may remove them for the time being :-(

I think you will find that it is nothing to worry about! It is just your canbus or similar talking to the rest of the car asking if everything is ok before it switches off.
Your LED lights require next to no current to operate, so the LED lights are just flashing momentarily on the canbus pulse. No harm is being done! If you want to stop this you can buy a canbus eliminator or simply install a resistor i.e 6 to 10watt across the light.

Hi and welcome! What waynne and T9 said is correct you're absolutely fine :blink1: I have LEDs in my sidelights of my focus and have had for years and are fine. What T9 said of the LEDs needing a tuny current is true, I also have a LED bulb in my interior light and there is always a faint glow even when not turned on because there is a tiny current leak that wouldnt be enought to illuminate a normal filament bulb but is enough to illuminate the leds

Er, are you sure the car hasnt got an alarm? I'd be amazed that any brand new, well 11 plate, car these days doesnt have even a basic one.

My m-i-l has a 206 that flashes the lights in exactly the same way whenever she locks it.

They do flash rapidly to confirm the car has been locked from outside with the remote but I think this guy is talking about sidelights, not indicators.