Learners on Motorways

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I've just been reading on proposals to let learner drivers on our motorways as a way of giving them more experience and preparing them for driving life after their driving test.

I suppose that this will only be allowed with a proper driving instructor in a car with dual controls.

What do you think about this? Will it make drivers better having this experience? Will the safety of our motorways be compromised? Did you worry about driving on motorways after you passed your driving test?

I'm all for it. But maybe make them practice on dual carriageways first to build them up. I was fine on the motorway after I passed its easy but you have to concentrate on the cars around you. I know loads of people who have never driven on a motorway because they're scared of the experience. Good idea.

I don't think it really matters, after all, learners are allowed to drive on dual carriageways (with supervision, of course) and motorways are, essentially, just dual carriageways with an extra lane. I never had a problem with driving on motorways after I passed my test

I think it's a good idea, but maybe restricted to less busy times of the day. If you can drive a car, then you should be able to use a motorway. My Mum is 52 and she used a motorway for the first time late last year! I use the motorway every week.

agree with it, more when they are ready for their test then start them on the motorway. that way they should already have a level of confidence.

might also help stop MLHs !!!!

Probably not going to stop people hogging the middle lane. I see it all the time even when the motorway is completely empty. I think its more down to people being lazy than not being educated.
Its one of the things that annoys me the most about people on motorways.

Possibly laziness but how much effort does it take to turn the steering wheel 1/8th of a degree (not even 1/8th of a turn) for a few seconds?

This is an attitude problem and in my opinion good attitude is possibly the most important attribute any driver can possess.

Probably not going to stop people hogging the middle lane. I see it all the time even when the motorway is completely empty. I think its more down to people being lazy than not being educated.

probably wont stop the ones doing it their whole life, but it might get the info into the newer drivers that cars can go into the left lane

Is it not to do with people assuming it's safer in the middle lane? As in there's a bigger margin for error? Still does my nut in though