Just wanted to say hi

PermanentGrin

Wrench Pro
Car
Mitsubishi GTO TT
I have had a Mitsubishi GTO twin turbo since 2003. It stayed stock for the first 2 years of ownership, then I wanted 500 hp, so set about getting it.

Got a best hp of 535 and a best torque figure of 610 ftlbs. (All of my dyno runs are done on Dyno Dynamics rollers). A week later I did my first ever 1/4 mile and cut an 11.4 @ 122 with a 1.7 60' at the Pod. Being a total novice I even ran my tyres at 35 psi to get that!

After that I wanted more, so made a few changes including some new turbos but still stock sized housings, so totally bolt on mods. Still on a totally stock motor too. This yielded a best hp of 631 BHP and 705 ftlbs. On my second ever drag session at TOTB IX I cut a 10.9 @ 124 with a 1.6 second 60'. Best TS was 128 mph, still on Toyo T1R tyres and still full weight, full interior.

Since then the car has been heavily stripped, strokered, forged, dog box, 8.5 second spec welded in roll cage etc. We put it on the rollers to map it and saw 832 BHP 755 ftlbs. The next week at the track it yielded a 137 mph terminal but nothing too special as an ET (11.2). Getting it off the line and shifting at 8800 rpm is not that easy to get right :lol:. Everything has loosened up since then quite considerably as the terminal speed has gone up by 10 mph to 147 mph! Although the ET is still only 10.2 seconds. This was done with my synchro box and a missed 1-2 shift!

Weight has been reduced from stock (1700-1720kg) down to 1468kg including the roll cage and parachute mount.

The main reason for the slower than expected ET's is drivetrain failures. So far this year I have broken 5 transfer cases, 1 snapped UJ on my cf prop, 3rd dog gear and smashed my custom dog box into 6 pieces! All through sheer power and hard launches. My best 60' was 1.5 seconds though. I have some epic photos of some of the breakages. :cool:

We have made changes throughout the Jap Drag Series this year and the last time out, broke nothing. So I am now looking to release the 2-400 BHP that is still in the engine. That's not a typo either! When mapping we hit a brick wall very early on which according to Mark Shead was an exhaust side restriction. Multiple changes and more weight reduction are underway.

Now I'm going to really make you laugh. This is a daily driver that I take on 200 mile round trip fishing trips!

André

Hello there and may I extend to you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars forums.
It is great to meet you and I hope you enjoy the forums as much as we all do and that you get totally addicted to this site.

It sounds like you have a great project on your hands, with an impressive mod list already. So what's next.

Do feel free to get involved in our other threads too, the more the merrier as they say and we are friendly (being friendly is actually a forum rule!:))

Hi, thanks for the welcome. I am keeping my eyes open for threads I feel I can contribute to constructively.

As for the mods list, that was a brief overview.....here's a bit more detail.

Engine

Cylinders bored out by 1mm to 92.1mm
O ringed block
Custom EN30B strokes crank built by Merkel Racing. Increased from 76.8mm to 89.8mm
Engine capacity increased from 2970cc to 3540cc
Custom Lunati Rods
Custom pistons with tool steel wrist pins
Cut down Chevy V8 rod bearings
Lunati rod bolts
Dynamic Racing stage 3 heads customised
Head studs torqued to 105 ftlbs
Custom Ferrea valves, 2mm oversize inlet valves
Double valve spring kit with titanium retainers
BC 280° cams
Adjustable cam gears
Kevlar timing belt
Ported lower intake
90mm plenum
90mm throttle body
Injector Dynamics 2000cc injectors x 6
2 x Dynamic Racing DR1400 dual ball bearing turbos (loosely based on the GTX3582R
DR Custom headers
2 x 38mm Tial wastegates
DR 3" O2 housings
Custom 3" down pipes
Custom 4" exhaust
Zircotech'd headers, O2 housings and turbo hot sides
Krank vents x 4
Custom twin intake kit
Solid motor mounts

Electronics

Autronics SM4 ECU
Autronics CDI
Pit Road M ignition leads
MXL Strada digital dash
Defi gauges x6 with Defi link meter
Custom vehicle wiring loom built from scratch
HID light kit
Launch control

Cooling

Koyo radiator
2x pusher 1x puller fans
Custom ducting to front mount inter cooler
6" ETS inter cooler
Custom hard pipes
Custom twin oil cooler setup with equal length pipe work

Transmission

Custom 6 speed dog gear and shafts kit
Custom bell housing brace
Custom front diff brace
Elite Racing Transmission LSD front diff
Elite Racing Transmission LSD centre diff
Mark Williams 300M output shaft
Custom cf propshaft with new UJ's rated to 2000 ftlbs
Mark Williams 300M rear driveshafts
ATS & Across triple plate carbon clutch
Tilton clutch flow control valve
Braided clutch line

Suspension

Tein Mono Flex
Tein electronic damping fierce controller

Wheels and tyres

Rays Volks TE37SL 18x10.5 +15 ET
Toyo R888 315/30/18
Rays Volks CE28N 17x9 +22 ET
Mickey Thompson ET Street 26/11.50/17

Body

Custom all metal wide body. 3" wider arches all round
Side skirts blended in to suit
'99 front end conversion with bottom removed to expose the full inter cooler
Aluminium splitter
Seibon cf 6 vent bonnet
VeilsideIt rear wing

Interior

Fully stripped except dash and door cards
Momo Nero steering wheel and boss
Corbeau RS1 recliners 12kg each
Flocked GRP buckets for the track 4.8 kg each

I'm sure there is stuff I've forgotten but you get the gist :lol:

Future plans

I have a cf rear hatch with lexan rear window for the track (no rear wing)
Screamer pipes
2 Un-silenced side exit exhausts to exit just behind the NSF wheel (for the track)
DR race grind cams
TimeI solid pivot lifters internally shimmed
L19 tool steel head studs
Pinned heads
Motor plate (enables the removal of 2 motor mounts and brackets)
ERL Aquamist water meth injection 4 x 0.9mm jets
Race logic GPS speed sensor for true ground speed (needed for traction control on a 4wd)
Custom transmission control until with paddle shifting and solenoids to change gears
More boost maybe another 8 psi
LOTS more timing

I'd pop some pictures up but can't see how to do that.

André

A very comprehensive list you have there. You will need to have made 10 posts first before you are allowed to post up any photos or URL links.

How do I upload pictures?
Once you've created an album you can upload images to it. Simply view the album and click on 'Upload Pictures'.
You'll have the option to give each picture a caption, and to set one image as the Album cover, which will be displayed on the public profile. To delete an album or edit the title, description or album type, click on 'Edit Album'. To delete an image, or to edit a caption or change the album cover, click on 'Edit Pictures'.
All members who have access to your album images can comment on them, in a similar way to Visitor Messages (more info). You can delete any image comments from your albums, and report inappropriate messages to moderators.
When you have uploaded a picture, you can place it in your posts by using the BB code text that is displayed below the image when you view it at full size.

Last edited:
It's not my company, nothing to do with me other than I buy parts from there from time to time. No sponsorship or anything.

I think you have misread things chap.

André

It's not my company, nothing to do with me other than I buy parts from there from time to time. No sponsorship or anything.

I think you have misread things chap.

André

I think it is you have misread things buddy, that last post is alongside another members name!! :)

Sorry about that. Now I'm really confused!

I thought Wearetop1 was suggesting that I shouldn't advertise my company, which I wasn't and wouldn't.

André

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back