just kinda starting...

rifftrax

Car
VM Jetta III 2.0L
So,

I figured I'd rather not be in the dark about general car stuff and looked up a forum to join so while I'm trying to improve the Jetta I'm running I can make some decent choices about what to look into.

I've got a 95' Jetta III 2.0L (4 cyclinder) with a K&N airfilter and aftermarket catback system. Very basic right now... I have a good friend who's a great mechanic though who is getting my car tuned up (engine flush, copper spark-plugs, a few other things) who I've been asking about possibly putting headers on it and then possibly a high-performance cat.

I looked at a couple placed online to find the headers for my model and it seemed like a couple places had some really nice looking ones for like $50! I thought that was pretty amazing a price for something like that but unfortunately the cheap ones were all for the V6 models sadly. But I think that's the next thing I'm going to go for and was wondering if anyone had advice about what to look for, where to go, what to get in particular for such a project for a V4 jetta.

So that's me! My car is also a little gimpy right now as I've got a donut on it but maybe I'll get to like a carbon fiber hood or something...? I don't know if that would be worth it but it seemed fun. ;)

Hello and welcome nice to meet you. It sounds like you have a great project on your hands. Pikeymotorsport had a Golf with a 2.0 engine in it.

To get more power you really need to get the head flowed, ported and polished and fit a fast road cam.

Hello and welcome nice to meet you. It sounds like you have a great project on your hands. Pikeymotorsport had a Golf with a 2.0 engine in it.

To get more power you really need to get the head flowed, ported and polished and fit a fast road cam.

Thanks everyone!

I have heard of polishing the inside of an exhaust system throughout, but what does it mean to get it flowed and ported?

Another question, is there a general best place to get performance items online? There a really nice little VM buggy shop near my place I'm thinking of going to when getting a lot of the mods done as the guy is really cool and does great work (saved me a lot of money on a defective factory alarm repair) but I didn't know if there was a cheaper way to accrue the materials overall.

welcome to the site mate.
2.0 is a I4 not a V4. what engine code is in it ?

Hmm, that interesting...I had always just imagined it was a V configuration, that's good to know! Not sure about the engine code, where would you find that? I know a little about cars but TBH there's a lot I've just heard about.

Last edited:
Look in the hand book or on top of the engine. It will allow members to work out what is best

I checked the engine and I can faintly see a barcode but it's very black and am not able to make out any numbers, I'm actually taking the car over to my mechanic friend today and I'll see if he can give the engine compartment a good cleaning and ask him about that.

I'm also picking up some nice aluminum rims + new wheels in an hour or two! I'm excited about that. They look like this:

3n53k83p35Y45V45W6a4pd4c9a29baed216b1.jpg

$300 didn't seem like a bad deal for 4 brand new rims (no scratches) and tires with 300 miles on them.

should just be a 3 digits not a full barcode.
not bad on the wheels what size are they ? they look like 14s going by that sidewall

Yeah, they are r14, good call! They look really very nice, perfect for what I have been looking for. :D The tires are definitely almost brand new. Just picked them up a half hour ago now. I guess they have special locking lug-nuts with a key...? Never had anything like that.

Thanks everyone!

I have heard of polishing the inside of an exhaust system throughout, but what does it mean to get it flowed and ported?

Have a read of this for more info on this....
http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/Porting-polishing.php

Gas Flowing is the term used to describe maximising the flow of air through the head, it involves polishing, porting, enlarging and even constricting or re locating some of the channels.

Have a read of this for more info on this....
http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/Porting-polishing.php

Gas Flowing is the term used to describe maximising the flow of air through the head, it involves polishing, porting, enlarging and even constricting or re locating some of the channels.

Nice...that is very cool. I actually asked my mechanic about it and he mentioned that's probably the next thing he was looking at for his own car's intake and heads was porting, polishing the inside.

Does anyone have any experience with 4 to 5 lug adapters? Without realizing I had gotten a 5 lug pattern wheel and I've got a 4 lug pattern car, I figured with one of those adapters it would give me more options overall for 5 lug wheels (pop up all the time on CL, never see any 4 lug ones).

It's a pretty light car and I'm going to do some heavy weight reduction so I figured it should be okay as the weight right now is about 2,400 lbs. I believe.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back