Is traction control any good

billyo

Track Warrior
I have two friends both with golfs. One loves his traction control and always leaves it switched on and is always raving about how good it is. The other is quite the opposite and always turns his off and moans that is sucks up power.

What do you think about traction control then?

depends on the mood, normally its left on unless im wanting a spirited drive as i find it can be intrusive at times.

does your friend know that for around a pound he can have the traction control off when he starts the engine rather than on ?

Some FWD systems, as TN69 suggests can be more hindrance than help.

A good setup such as Nissan's Skyline or Jaguar's XF will flatter your driving. Switch the whole lot off and you'll have to work much harder to achieve that fine balance between grip and slip which high end stability control systems offer.

It depends on the driver and what he is upto. For just travelling around and in poor weather conditions it can be much safer to leave it on. If you are an experienced driver then you will probably want to feel that you are in full control and will turn it off.

Sophisticated systems, as has been said, will not be intrusive and give access to levels of grip and handling mere mortals can only dream of.