Is Ken Block your hero or a zero

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on Ken Block? Is he a driving hero or just an egocentric media hungry zero?

Do you wish you could drive like him? Is he actually that good a driver or do his "stunt" shows make him out to be better than he is?

I actually admire the guy and I think he has skills, but I would hesistate to say he's one of the best out there. He's probably the most entertaining.

Imagine a fantasy head to head twisty track based race between, button, Loeb, Senna, Block, Collins, Burns etc... who would win

What are your thoughts on Ken Block? Is he a driving hero or just an egocentric media hungry zero?

Do you wish you could drive like him? Is he actually that good a driver or do his "stunt" shows make him out to be better than he is?

I actually admire the guy and I think he has skills, but I would hesistate to say he's one of the best out there. He's probably the most entertaining.

Imagine a fantasy head to head twisty track based race between, button, Loeb, Senna, Block, Collins, Burns etc... who would win

Already exists and I say Loeb cause he's won it loads and he normally posts the fastest lap of the whole event.
http://www.raceofchampions.com/index.aspx

Entertaining yes, but how many takes to pull the final stunt? His rallying is nothing special is it? We all know circuit racers seldom make good rally drivers and vice-versa. So he's not a hero, just an entertainer with some great skills and an even better car. The hero is the one on the gyro bike thingy who gets choked on tyre smoke in the middle of those do-nuts!

i think ken block is trying to do something new, challenge all his motocross stunt junkie friends, with his car, i'd name that a car freestyle, same as they do on bikes, and yea, i think ken block is the guy, but i think he's different from rally, however, he could challenge them.

Great entertainer. I definitely wish I could drive like him, but I would love to take skills like that to a track.

I would do both. Real race driving on a sanctioned race track, and gymkhana style stunting for fun/commercials.

Ken Block is the man because he invented this. Even if someone better comes along with a cooler car and a less commercial approach, he's still going to be biting his style.

Ken tryed rally. He is very skillfull driver with exceptionally good prepaired vehicles, but not an ultimate racer. At least not ultimate rally racer. He could have the skill to win, but as I see things, he miss something - Ari, Carlos, Sebastian, Colin etc got balls so huge that I think they sometimes got problems to even fit inside car!
Ken is not that determinant. He is more comfortable to set a track and learn every inch or adjust it to himself - rally can not provide that kind of luxury to drivers.
In my opinion he is one great stunt driver with potential skills to give an good rally race, but got not enough "madness" to really try it.
Do I wish I can drive like he can? Oh yes, I do! Do I wish to be able to drive like some of rally heroes? Yes, but I also lack pair of iron balls, to be honest.

If I had that much free time and money, and felt inclined to, I'd be that good at stunt/rally driving. I'm sure the same goes for many of us here.

But what he does is still cool. The world needs wealthy nutters like him, to keep the rest of us entertained and dreaming.

i'm somewhat a Block fan... not for his rallying efforts, but the gymkhana stuffs. the four gymkhana "virals" show a very high skill, even if it does take more than one attempt, and the jump he did in his old rally car was nuts! somewhere in the 170' mark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDi0MZJZ-w0

is he just another media fad? who knows. but DC clothing and shoes... i'd have my wardrobes full of it if i could afford it! :)