intercooler as a cold air feed for the induction

Syder

Wrench Pro
Car
civicaerodeck1.8VTI
I have a K&N induction kit on the car , i took out the resonator and have fitted a cold air feed pipe coming from the fog light hole up and through the wing and facing the filter , this works a treat but not good in the rain as it will suck in the water and is no good for the engine .

So what i was thinking of was to take all the air con out ( save a little wight ) as don't use it cos it keeps losing charge too soon and put in a inter cooler in feeding the induction , which should get more colder air and no water spray .

Has anyone done this before .

Was going to buy one from the scrap yard to see how it goes , then buy a new one if all goes well . :blink:

DON'T. Intercoolers work best with Turbo/Super chargers, you may experience loss of power if you connect one to your intake feed.

Intercoolers are heat exchangers. They work with turbos because the intake air has been compressed so therefore heated. As this air is hotter than the ambient air being drawn though the intercooler matrix heat is transferred from the intake charge to the air passing through the matrix. However, in your case the temperature of the air passing through the intercooler will be the same as the air passing through the matrix no cooling will occur.

As an aside, the small amount of mositure that will get though your existing intake and filter will not harm your engine. In can actually improve performance by cooling the air thereby increasing its density :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back