Infra red senders and receivers

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Most of my car's switches and controls are mounted on the steering wheel so I need a large curly cable from wheel to dash.

Is there a compact IR sender (will be fitted inside steering wheel centre) and receiver system out there that can handle 30 odd separate signals?

Surely the weight of the transmitter and reciever will be greater than the cable you are trying to save.

Surely the weight of the transmitter and reciever will be greater than the cable you are trying to save.

That is quite possible, but it would remove an unsightly curley wire and make removal and refitting (quick release) of the steering wheel a tad easier.

I like to investigate all possibilities. Elecronics are so light and compact these days that I doubt that the weight difference would be much, either way.

if you want to do it without wires its quite possible to get a wireless switch . Before my current ecu I had a wirelss button on the steering wheel that switched high to low boost. It used a wireless receiver that was under the dash than plugged into the remote boost controller -
Worked a treat but only on one circuit.

You can get a variation of the canbus system that allows a single wire to carry more than one piece of info .This was around in the nineties.

Check out maplins for kits that may do this sort of thing. Raspberry PI may work well if you can find a nerd that can set this up for you.

Can you give the car an OBDII type socket? There are bluetooth senders for the OBD giving speed, rpm and other engine info but this will depend on the ECU you use.

Check out maplins for kits that may do this sort of thing. Raspberry PI may work well if you can find a nerd that can set this up for you.

Can you give the car an OBDII type socket? There are bluetooth senders for the OBD giving speed, rpm and other engine info but this will depend on the ECU you use.

The ECU has a PC connection. However, a lot of the functions I want to transmit by magic are not ECU ones: Line lock, parachute, gearbox neutral switch and indicators.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back