Improve our boring roads.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Having spend too much of my life on boring roads (M6 and M1) particularly but the M20 is just as bad I was wondering what would make the roads less boring.

In Switzerland you have the scenery so perhaps we should just put motorways through the prettiest bits of countries.

In France we have Artistic signs and sculpture - we have the angel of the North I suppose and a new monstrocity planned for Kent. (Do you think this works?)

What about coloured tarmac? Yellow brick roads and all that.

What else would you do to make our motorways more interesting?

Firstly, I'd like to comment on this from another perspective. Boring roads are dangerous roads. A lot of so called safety campaigners argue that scenery is a distraction.

I disagree, believing that monotony is more likely to induce attention lapse that interest and stimulation. Hence my belief that over enforced speed limits are counter productive.

What to do to improve things? Genuinely, I don't have an answer to that one....yet.. I'll give it some thought.

A series of high speed jumps through rings of fire.

It'd thin down the traffic anyway. Maybe a big pit in the middle for those that didnt make it.

Realistically, I dont know, its a hard road to make entertaining. Raise the speed limit so you're on there less time? Haha...

yay thats a good idea. Nothing makes you more interested than having to slam on the anchors to avoid a camera or piling into the back of a queue of cars doing the same thing.

Random series of very strong, deadly bollards that pop out the ground at a moments notice, creating a slalom section that the driver must navigate correctly at speed, otherwise receiving a fine through the mail.

Before you say no; this would increase the following:

Driver Ability
Less traffic, because people would be too scared to drive
Better standard of driving across the board, not just the odd driver
Less accidents due to tiredness, because people would be bricking it their whole journey.
Less Caravans in outside lanes, imagine those fishtailing!
More fun
Risk + reward game - maybe successful drivers would receive a portion of their road tax back.

... When I come to power, predictability will go out the window.

Snipers with RPG's in built up areas - there's the risk to you that they might blow you up in your car, but also the risk to them that they'll miss and blow up the group of kids you were driving past