Ignition timing Power VS Torque??

jc denton

Track Warrior
Car
MR2
Check this out...

"Is this mod worth it?
If and only if you're trying to squeeze every bit of power from your car and you're willing to use a higher grade of gas to do it. I can afford to use a higher grade of gas. I know some people can't, so it may not be worth it to them.
How much of a power gain should I expect?
Hopefully, you gain some mad horsepower so you can beat Prelude Si's, but I doubt that'll be the case. I read that adding 1º of advance produces 2 horsepower to the wheels. Of course, this is only a guideline, and it varies from car to car.

1 degree of advance = 2 horsepower?????? that sounds like a tincy wincy lie to me.

It depends on the engine concerned. There are too many variables that come into play for a rule like 2 hp for 1 degree to work.

Would a V6 4.0 litre and 656cc engine both get an additional 2hp? I doubt it very much.

Most modern cars will automatically advance the timing for superunleaded fuel and continually trims the fuel usage to match the engine running conditions.

You're right waynne to a point, Most cars on our roads are only mapped to use standard unleaded. Mainly FI cars (turbo/supercharged) run better on super because of the harsher condition within the combustion chamber so the engine management retards the timing so you don't get pre detonation.

@jc I would have thought that your VTEC would love the super juice.