I wonder why

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
As a keen observer of my fellow motorists and things they do on a regular basis is why majority people/drivers when the road signs indicate that the road narrows = 2 lanes merging into a single lane that do so straight away some 100's of meters before it actually narrows.

Another one is the reluctance to turn on their headlights at dusk or when it is getting dark as it can be quite difficult to see some colors especially when they are behind another car as there are many 1000,s of older cars that do not have DRL's.

IMO it is not only to see others but also to be seen if one really wants to be safe on the roads.

Last edited:
I have wondered exactly the same thing for best part of three decades. Merge early in any situation and we all keep moving at a reasonable pace.

Headlights - yes, and I approve of DRLs. All cars should have automatic headlights. Vision and being visible is crucial.

In traffic I will merge and adjust my speed when needed to suit the flow but when there is almost no other cars on the road most seem to merge as soon as they see the sign and am curious as to their thinking/reason for doing so when they have a clear lane with no close traffic in any lane going in their direction.:confused:

Most use the merging as a challenge, let's see if I can nip in before I start throwing cones everywhere! I can't help but close the gap and leave them hanging there, am I a bad person? ;b/

Most people don't look very far ahead while they drive. They scan ahead maybe 4 or 5 car lengths and don't pay attention to what's going on the sides of the road. That's why they merge at the last second and why traffic jams happen. These sorts of morons cause others to get on the brakes and cause a bad accordion effect. I close the gap on those idiots too. I don't care if I'm a bad person, I merged early.

As a keen observer of my fellow motorists and things they do on a regular basis is why majority people/drivers when the road signs indicate that the road narrows = 2 lanes merging into a single lane that do so straight away some 100's of meters before it actually narrows.

Another one is the reluctance to turn on their headlights at dusk or when it is getting dark as it can be quite difficult to see some colors especially when they are behind another car as there are many 1000,s of older cars that do not have DRL's.

IMO it is not only to see others but also to be seen if one really wants to be safe on the roads.

There is a merging point along the A130 which I always pull into the furthest lane (Slow Lane) as it always moves quicker then the lane which has been merged as everyone leaves it until the last second.

In traffic I will merge and adjust my speed when needed to suit the flow but when there is almost no other cars on the road most seem to merge as soon as they see the sign and am curious as to their thinking/reason for doing so when they have a clear lane with no close traffic in any lane going in their direction.:confused:
Forgive me if I am missing the point but why not move over in the situation you describe.
Whats to be gained by staying where you are for a few seconds longer?

It depends on the situation. It's good to use the lane as long as possible to utilize all the road space, but bad to go until you tie up traffic forcing yourself in the merge lane at the last second because you're not paying attention. Look ahead, use the space and merge in a natural opening. Then cut off the moron texting his BFF as the lane is just about to end.

Guybo has nailed it|B Except for the last naughty bit:lol:

ST24 I posed the question to find out why drivers do certain things that seem to have no obvious reason for doing so .
Much like why when turning left into a multi/dual lane road most head into the right lane even when the road ahead is clear in both lanes and not turning right a couple of hundred metres further on??.

Last edited: