How far would you drive for cheaper petrol?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If you knew you could buy cheaper petrol further away then how far would you be prepared to drive and what sort of price difference would you be after?

For me if it were 4p per litre cheaper I would drive 20 miles. (Due to the petrol used for the journey I would barely break even but I do it in the hope that the local prices come down to compete - I just need everyone else in my town to do the same thing.)

I just stick with BP Ultimate Diesel to be honest. Buckingham's pricey but it's always a few pennies cheaper so tend to fill up whenever forecourt is quiet and I'm below 1/2 tank.

Premium fuels are better, in my opinion, than stock ones. never use Tesco or Asda - they seem to make engines a bit coarse.

Whether I save on MPG is debatable but I think premium fuel is beneficial in the long term, reducing maintenance costs and downtime.

So if my fuel bill is an extra fifty quid a year but the injectors and hp pump life is increased massively then you're better off overall.

i wouldnt go that much further, there are 4 garages around my way basically under a mile from my house for all of them.

one is asda though, will not go there out of pricipal, as my mate put some diesel in his car a while ago, and it run worse than if he was running chip fat.

messed with the injectors i think.

i would probably put the ultra super duper fuel in if it .
bp unleaded ultimate i think its called.

Last edited:
I have a freind with a Fiat which runs better on chip fat, the emissions are lower and he has more power! He lives next to a chip shop so has an endless supply of veggie oil!

I too agree with those who steer clear of supermarket fuels. You get what you pay for applies to petrol as well. The silicone problem at Tesco's did little to reinforce my confidence.

try to fill up at the shells near my g/f its 106.9 at the mo - sainsburys is 105 but as HDi says I dont put supermarket crap in

I try to get it while on my way home from work. It is usually about 5-10 cents cheaper per gallon here in town compared to wher i live 20 miles away.

Ian- how does yours do on milage? Yours has the 2.5 as well correct? If i am not mistaken we have the same engines and my mileage sucks! I am not sure what kind of tranny ratio you have but at like 75 mph i am pushing almost 4g's. Very low geared!

:lol: I bet you've noticed your weekly £20 fillups are now daily!

A woman I worked with told me that the petrol increases didn't bother her cos she only filled up by a tenner each time! (She was dead serious though! :eek:)

I have a co-worker that drives a Geo Metro and he gets 65 miles to a gallon....:blink:makes me sick to even talk about it. Says he can go 400 miles on 6 gallons. I put 15 gallons and can bearly pull 300 miles

be glad i haven't been able to afford to drive my truck for the last year or so. use to take it on camping/fishing trips (have yet to get stuck in it even on the worse goat trails) but since she only gets like 12 to the gallon (not sure of the km/l conversion there sorry guys) it costs me an extra 200 bucks for a weekend.

*edit was to correct spelling errors

Glad you are hot on spelling! I know a few of us have a minor fit with some of the spillung mishtooks and Txt mssg spk we see!

Thats quite a big cost difference for a weekend. (In the UK we are Miles Per Gallon but our gallons and pobably our miles are different to yours - ho hum :D!)