How does it make a difference???

kylevw

Wrench Pro
Car
vw polo mk4 1.6cl
What is the difference between a straight 6 and a V6, e.g dose it increase the power?

Last edited by a moderator:
The V6 is a lot smoother than a straight six so can run higher rpm.

Sorry, Waynne, that's totally wrong.

A straight six is in perfect primary and secondary order harmonic balance, which is why they are never fitted with balancer shafts: there's nothing to balance!

A V6 is a packaging compromise to allow use of a six cylinder engine in a smaller space than an inline six would fit.

The other reaon for the existance of a V6 is that sometimes the engine is a 'cut down' V8. In this case the angle between cylinder banks would be 90 degrees.

Almost all V6 engines have balance shafts.

The reason that some V6 engines can rev higher than a similarly sized inline six is because the crankshaft is shorter, resulting in less torsional vibration.

Wish my car was a cut down V8, would have made it about a 4.0 V8 hehe, now that would be a fun conversion lol. Also "V" engines tends to have more torque and not all the time is it right that straights rev better than V's, set of hi torque cams and a remap would make my engine rev to about 7200rpms. Mine goes to 6800 at the mo with the remap it's already got.

Sorry, Waynne, that's totally wrong.

A straight six is in perfect primary and secondary order harmonic balance, which is why they are never fitted with balancer shafts: there's nothing to balance!
:embarrest: Bad day! I was thinking of an inline 6 like an inline 4! DOH! I guess I'm not perfect after all:lol: