Torque Cars

Honda K20 Type R

Discussion in 'Superchargers and Turbos' started by Kaspa, 17 July 2018.

1. Kaspa

Kaspa New member

Sunshine coast Qld Australia
    Car:
    63 Lotus 23B
    I have a 2008 k20 Type R engine in my little toy project and although 220 odd hp in a 500kg car sounds good 320 would sound so much better, so ive been thinking about putting a turbo on it just because i can, at present engine is stock with after market Skunk inlet manifold, a manual throttle body, and a good set of headers, so my question is what sort of max boost would you limit a stock engine to with 11-1 comp ratio.
    cheers Kaspa

2. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Hi and welcome to another banana bender.|B
    It sounds like you want to build a missile so am guessing that it will be mainly a track car??
    I would suggest you do some research as adding boost to an 11-1 CR would be dangerous as the internals = pistons and rods may not be up to the task and almost certainly need replacing with forged items.

Here is a chart that indicates how much more pressure is placed on the motor so you can see how much higher the "effective" CR increases when boost is added.

http://theblowershop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Effective_Compression.pdf

You may have heard about a car called a SKELTA that is / was built by Ray Vandersee and it is powered by an S2000 supercharged motor and it's expected to be at the Leyburn sprints next month so maybe you should have a chat with him for some first hand advise before deciding what type of forced induction would best suit your project.

PS I will be competing fot the 10th time in the "invited "class in an 85 Mitsubishi Starion so if you go come and have a chat with me and I will introduce you to Ray.:)

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/road-test/0905/skelta-g-force-sc-review

Last edited: 17 July 2018
    Lunchmoney likes this.
  3. Kaspa

Kaspa New member

Car:
    63 Lotus 23B
    Hi Jb no probs mate, i actually no Ray well, he's running a Rotrex blower on his, i might have a yarn to him at the Noosa hill later in the year.
    cheers

4. Kaspa

Kaspa New member

Car:
    63 Lotus 23B
    Well we took the little rocket to the dyno the other day and was rather disappointed in the outcome as apparently neither the VCT or the Vtec was working, so i have spent the last few days trying to sort it out with no luck so for,
    update i have managed to get the VCT calibrating so thats a start, now to get the Vtec sorted, ECU is a Haltech 1500 Elite.
    cheers John