Hi - well...

tjw2007

Tuner
my name's Tim and I'm facing a conundrum - I currently own a silver, '52 reg Mazda MX5 sport edition with air con - and I think I must be going insane...because I don't like it very much. How is it that everybody loves the MX5 and hails it as being one of the best cars ever made, yet I can't get on with it. Sure, it's got a great look and a lot of kudos, but I can't get on with the amount of noise, the bumpy ride and the awkward gear stick. I'm extra worried, because I'm actually entertaining the idea of replacing it with a Renault Megane (2.0 Dynamique VVT Turbo) - well it is faster on paper!

What am I missing here!?

MX5

Hi,

I have owned two MX5's. Both were Japanese imports. The first was a NA 1.6 which lasted around 6 months before I got bored with it. I then moved on to a turbo charged 1.6. This was able to pull just under 200 BHP and had several other mods such as suspension and clutch also. This made it a completely different car and was much more fun to drive.

I have now moved on to a Mitsubishi GTO 3 litre twin turbo. This is a 1997 model and with its 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steer is a fantastic car. It can be driven sedately or can be really pushed. It is VERY comfortable to ride in and can be switched between touring or sports suspension simply by pushing a button. The exhaust note can be changed also from quiet to a bit noisy, again by pushing a button. It also provides ASC and has cruise control with a six speed manual gearbox. It can pull 100mph in third, and gets to 60 in around 5 seconds in its standard form.

I'd go for one of these rather than a "normal" car any day.

The MX5 was OK, but only once it had been modified.

Perhaps I'm in the wrong forum, but I was looking more for something that's got around 160-180bhp (perhaps 200bhp!) which hasn't got a massively high insurance group and can do 35mpg or more - is this asking too much!?

The wrong forum? Nonsense, TorqueCars members have a lot of knowledge between them and I'm sure any query you have can be answered!

I think he meant the wrong topic/forum thingie rather than the wrong forum - I see he has got an answer on one of our other topics. :D

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back