Hi there!

pandemonium

Car
MB C220 CDI (W203)
Hi there folks,

Stumbled upon this nice forum looking for remap information for my baby (MB C220 CDI). Also looking for advice on possible mods that I can make to her to get the best kick as I push the pedal.

All help is much appreciated.

Regards,
pandemonium

Hi there and may I wish you a warm welcome to TorqueCars, it is a pleasure to meet you.

What year is it? HOw many miles has it done?

You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll start to love and enjoy the forums as much as we all do.

Feel free to get involved in our other threads, all opinions are welcome and as they say "the more the merrier"!

Keep us up to date with your project as well, we like to see what people are getting up to with their cars.

Cheers for the warm welcome folks :p. Gives me the warm gushy feeling inside :lol:.

So, in answer to Waynne's questions - Its a BEAUTIFULLY MAINTAINED Oct 2004 reg car with 335xx miles on the clock. Currently, its a standard Avantgarde trim with the additional Sports pack, leather seats, leather interior & an aftermarket bluetooth phone upgrade (Parrot 9200).

WRT projects in hand, I'm looking to do a few mods to it to maximize its potential without breaking the bank, law & at the same time, remain unnoticed/undetected ;).

Desired Mods (Undetectible, of course): The following mods are due this weekend:

• K&N E-2018 direct replacement filter - (12-2-2011)
  • All 4 tyres upgrade - Michellin Pilots Sport 3 - (12-2-2011)
  • Xenon headlights Upgrade - (12-2-2011)
The following mods are still under consideration and will be done after my B Service due in 2k miles.

• ECU Remap (V-Switch with Track/Power/Eco maps on box & Standard + Duo backed up on computer) - (Viezu.com)
  • DPF removal - (Viezu)
Since the DPF removal will be detectible to a certain extent, I might not actually go through with it. What do you guys reckon?

Regards,
pandemonium

i would still say about the maps. although you have a standard map. if in the case the worst was to happen how would you reset it back to standard.

the other thing is that there is flash counters will show multiple writes to the ECU, could well be a giveaway if someone was to look.

id say declare everything. and xenon light upgrade do you mean staying with normal bulbs or going to HIDs and ballasts ? if later they are unlawful

welcome to the site by the way

i would still say about the maps. although you have a standard map. if in the case the worst was to happen how would you reset it back to standard.
That's the beauty of the V-Switch... I can have upto 3 maps stored on the device and remapt the ECU anytime I wish (time taken 5min max).

the other thing is that there is flash counters will show multiple writes to the ECU, could well be a giveaway if someone was to look.
I know nothing about flash counters... can anyone else confirm these exist, if at all?

and xenon light upgrade do you mean staying with normal bulbs or going to HIDs and ballasts ? if later they are unlawful
I was going to have the HID ballasts conversion done and had even ordered it... since reading your post, I've looking it up and found DVLA's notice and am now trying to cancel my order.

Having said that, its a misnomer that HID kits are illegal... the issue isn't that at all... the issue is that the light reflectors in the headlamps are actually designed for Halogen bulbs which offer a different light pattern than the HID bulbs. This results in a sprayed/distorted light pattern instead of a directional pattern. If you look closely, your halogen headlamps will show a flattened pattern which will taper off after about thigh-height when standing up against the bulb. If this pattern is maintained with the HID bulbs as well, they will sail through MOT and won't bother oncoming traffic. This problem usually comes to the fore when boy-racers mod their dad's cars ... but only partially. i.e. change the bulbs, but not the reflectors.

Anyway... I digress... fuel for another thread I suppose....! Suffice to say that I'm attempting to cancel my order.

Did you pay for them with a credit card? Less than 5 days just call up your bank. Tell them you have been told the web site have a bad press and they will cancel payment asap.

Simples! :bigsmile:

Did you pay for them with a credit card? Less than 5 days just call up your bank. Tell them you have been told the web site have a bad press and they will cancel payment asap.

Simples! :bigsmile:

Unfortunately, I bought it off eBay and paid using Paypal. I've contacted the seller and unfortunately its already been dispatched. So, I've got to either take delivery, or, send it back incurring a further £10 delivery to Poland! So, £20 down the drain... or... try it and see if my headlamps actually continue to follow the light pattern... and then take it from there.

:bigsmile::bigsmile:

Hay, I'll have you know, I worked the Rugby bar last night for a privet function FOR FREE as a favour, and at the end of the night spent all me tips on a few shots for the lads!!

Granted, I did just want to see them fall over, but that is beside the point! :D

On the other hand, I do like to pay for everything cash, as you can usually get 5% off! lol

:bigsmile::bigsmile:

Hay, I'll have you know, I worked the Rugby bar last night for a privet function FOR FREE as a favour, and at the end of the night spent all me tips on a few shots for the lads!!

Granted, I did just want to see them fall over, but that is beside the point! :D

On the other hand, I do like to pay for everything cash, as you can usually get 5% off! lol

5%! as a wise Welsh man living in Scotland I would have expected at least 10% :bigsmile:

That used to be the going rate, but with all the vat rises and the credit crunch, I have had to ease off!

I also find investing some time down the local pub will help when it comes to finding a good workman! Got my stairs, landing and bottom of stairs carpet fitted for £40 including door strips!!

Beat that!! :lol:

That's the beauty of the V-Switch... I can have upto 3 maps stored on the device and remapt the ECU anytime I wish (time taken 5min max).

I know nothing about flash counters... can anyone else confirm these exist, if at all?

I was going to have the HID ballasts conversion done and had even ordered it... since reading your post, I've looking it up and found DVLA's notice and am now trying to cancel my order.

Having said that, its a misnomer that HID kits are illegal... the issue isn't that at all... the issue is that the light reflectors in the headlamps are actually designed for Halogen bulbs which offer a different light pattern than the HID bulbs. This results in a sprayed/distorted light pattern instead of a directional pattern. If you look closely, your halogen headlamps will show a flattened pattern which will taper off after about thigh-height when standing up against the bulb. If this pattern is maintained with the HID bulbs as well, they will sail through MOT and won't bother oncoming traffic. This problem usually comes to the fore when boy-racers mod their dad's cars ... but only partially. i.e. change the bulbs, but not the reflectors.

Anyway... I digress... fuel for another thread I suppose....! Suffice to say that I'm attempting to cancel my order.

i did mean in the event of an serious accident how are you going to change the map. i dare say that as you have a diesel you may find you leave it on performance map all the time, more power, torque and if driving non aggressively more economy

cant confirm if MB ecu has a flash counter but most modern ones do. tuning companies that use the self flash devices, such as your looking at / got, are trying to work around the flash counter for those who use a race map for track days. ie they can load the race map on
flash counter removes 1
loads map and flash counter goes up 1

as for the HID upgrades i take it was the same reading as in here
http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f56/hid-upgrades-2478/
a thank you for actually reading into it rather than just saying they produce brighter light and the blue looks so cool so im doing it like so many do and then blind every one
you are right it is the reflectors that are the main issue. if you can get some that are diesgned for gas discharge then good but chances are you will need OEM ones and the DC2 stlye bulbs.
on top of that you also need self levelling for the lights and headlight washers

and a quick warning the MOT could be changing shortly and closer inspection and HID conversions may now cause a car to fail
just now as long as the beam pattern can be adjusted then they will pass but still blind other road users .

and as for HID being legal, really they are not. not even OEM on a new car but UK traffic law

"Dept or transport" said:
The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.
;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back