Hi everyone

Prince

Torque King
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
Hi everyone, just thought I'd take the time to introduce myself. My name is Matt (a.k.a. Prince), I'm 19 and I drive a 1999 Honda Civic Coupe. I am currently saving up to modify it!

hey prince welcome to the site
the 1999 coupe is that the lsi or vti model or were us stupid and buy the 1.5 ;)
the later will not need much done to it (160 already compared to the 110 of the lsi)

have you done much to the car already

Cheers mate. It's the 1.6i SE version (sport...not vti although a good base to mod). I've only been driving it since last tuesday! I used to drive a 2001 Vauxhall Corsa but I saw the Civic advertised so I thought if I don't get it now, it won't be there in a few months. It's only got 12000 miles on the clock (sounds clocked at first but everything is ligit!). I was thinking of putting in a new engine when I can afford to...not sure which one yet (I don't know how to mod a car under the hood) although I know other Honda engines should work. I'll need a new exhaust to match the new engine (I was thinking twin). Then I'll put some rims on it, add a body kit, spoiler, new hood, respray and maybe a tint on the windows. Then I'll start on the interior.

with the engine only having 12k on it and you only being 19 i wouldnt bother with the engine swap. hondas can be a pain to insure at the best, if you do go down the swap thou the B16x (1.6 and depending on tune 150 - 177bhp) or the B18x (1.8 varing from 170 - 205bhp angain depending on engine) i was told that they should all fit in the 5dr civic like i had the soulnt be much difference between this and the coupe

insead have you looked at tuning up the engine thats in it the now ?
  • panel filter / induction
  • FSE boost valve
  • Cam
  • Cant remember if the 1.6 sport is VTECH some are some arent. if it is a VTECH controller to lower the swith between the low and high area of the cams
  • re-write may include the VTECH controller if not its will give around 8 bhp
  • supercharger ??? i know that there are plenty of off the shelf ones in america for the B16x engines simple bolt on jobs with kiddy back ECU

youve said about doing up the exaust are you on about fitting 2 back boxes 1 at each side or 1 with 2 ports? if its going to be a custom build ie powerflow etc make sure you read the article on the exhausts

HERE

My 1.6 isn't a VTECH. After reading the link for exhausts I think it would be 1 back box with 2 ports, but I'm not really too sure. What's the difference performance wise?

Also, if I did just tune the current engine what could I actually get out of it? It's currently 109BHP. Could this eventually be tuned to give 300+ (for example) BHP?

Other engines I've read about are the b16a and the b18c...but I'm a bit of newb when it comes to performance tuning

Thanks mate

B16a and if you can find 1 a B16B from the old old type R (97-00) with 185bhp

the 300 bhp is possible but it would cost so much youd proberly be cheaper buying a new car, and the engine would need rebuild a hell of a lot. ive heard of th B16a getting 270 from heavy engine work and a supercharger.
even the s2000 kicks out 240 stanadard only really goes to 350 in most tuning cases

if your a newbie stick to basic things you could do yourself such as panel filter or induction kit, be wary as induction kits have a side effect of losing low end power in smaller engines
sports exhaust ( off the shelf kit ) can be fitted in a afternoon with relitive ease, the civic ones easy enough. the cat can be a prob with the heat on the bolts but that was the only trouble i had changing mine

i dont think that theres any difference having 2 back boxes it just means theres a split in the mid section to allow gases to both boxes so its dearer as 2 boxes are in use. mine cost £50 off ebay for a second hand one. powerflow done my one for ma prelude for £312

if your wanting figs for each honda engine Wikpedia Honda B engine

hope it helps

Hi prince,

I am Jade from South Africa and to be honest the Honda boys have a horrible reputation in SA under the legal and illegal racing guys oh and me girl of course!!!

I was too lazy to read all the posts but the honda's have a wicked motor and is relatively easy to mod.....

What have you done, what are you planing on doing??? N/A or turbo?????

Hey Waynne and Jade, thanks for the welcome. So far I've done nothing (I've had the car almost a week now...I still look out the window to look at it with a big grin on my face though! lol). The first thing I want to do is put a sports exhaust on it. Then I'll save up for some exterior mods...some chrome 18s, a body kit and a bigger spoiler. Then I'll have it resprayed (not sure which colour yet, I was thinking some kind of red, possibly candy would look good...all ideas are welcome!). I may have the back windows tinted. Then for the ICE...I was thinking new seats...with monitors in the headrests. Monitors in the sun visors...all of which link up to a dvd player. I will have all of the dash and interior coordinate with the outside...possibly a red and black theme. Then for the system...2000 watt amp, with 2/4 12 inch subwoofers (the Civic's trunk is huge...to demostrate this I got inside! lol) and then I'll have all the stock speakers replaced with high quality ones. Now because at once I've done this I'll have a few years no claims (I currently have 1), I'll start the performance mods. I'm a bit of newb when it comes to under the hood mods but I have a fair idea of what I want to achieve. The first thing I'll look for is a new engine...a B16B. Then I'll have some kind of turbocharger fitted and some nitrous. The end result will hopefully give me around 300 BHP. I really need to start saving! C'mon student loans!!!

Please tell me what you think of my plans!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back