heya!

PaT2090

Hey, my name is Pat but most people call me Pee. I drive a '94 Honda Civic Bali 1.3 with Tint's all-round, 15" MK5's with two 300w (Peak) speakers in the rear. Oh and some busted Sony ones at the front haha.

Best thing of it all, it came all fitted like that when I bought it back in July '05 which is cool since it's quite a good looking car (quite lucky/spoilt considering it's my first :D!).

I've been meaning to tune it internally for ages but I never really gone into researching how until recently.

'Spose this is the best place to come to since I have no idea about much at all haha. I've been looking at some universal air filters but again, I have no idea what I'm REALLY doing so I'm a bit muddled.

lol thats right,

It started off as P when I was like 8 and then we all kind of decided I've already shotten myself in the foot so why not finish off the pun by adding the two E's and make it my proper nickname

Hi Pee - welcome to the site - we look forward to answering your questions and swapping tuning tips with you. A panel replacement air filter would be a better option for your car rather than a cone filter unless you are not too worried about power and you just want the induction roar sound.

aah I see, and what sort of power difference's would the two make?
The panel would improve performance more than the cone? Or would the cone actually decrease power? (I think I read something about that on the site!)

On smaller engines the cone filters rob low down power and this can make the car really annoying to drive. Panel filters seem to give the same top end power (very nearly almost) and they dont rob you of low down power as you are still using the standard airbox.

I see I see, is this partly because it's an older car too? Because I've seen induction kits placed in 1.3 Ford Ka's which are, granted, newer than my car but wouldn't the effect of having for example, a pipercross induction kit, have the same robbing effect as the civic? Seems silly to even try haha :shock: .

Also you mentiioned sound, would the panel filter trigger any sort of change in sound (volume or otherwise) in my car?

Your right! The sound will not really change as the airbox is designed to reduce the induction noise. Putting a cold air feed nearer the cabin will increase noise a little but also suck in more hot air - thus reducing power!

waynne said:
Putting a cold air feed nearer the cabin will increase noise a little but also suck in more hot air - thus reducing power!

Are you talking about a panel or cone reducing power haha, i'm confused!

I was rambling on about taking a pipe back from the standard airbox to collect cold air to near the cabin. It wouldn't really work - as the hot air problem happens so your choice is NOISE and LESS power or NO NOISE and slightly more POWER the question is do you want to be impressive or sound impressive :wink:

lol, thats a no brainer hahaha, cheers for the help by the way it's much appreciated =].

may aswell move onto the next stage of looking around for panel filters haha, where should I start?

I've looked about at the sites listed but there arn't any panel style filters that I can find on the site.

Do you recommend any particular filter or manufacturer for filters that I should look out for?

very nice! Good prices too!

I couldn't find any compatible PiperX (I'm gonna type that from now on haha) with the 1.3 Civic. However I did find a K&N Panel Filter for the Honda Civic DX (1.3), do you think that would be compatible for Bali's aswell?

The specs of the cars are very similar (http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=46064)

Nice site btw! I like those prices *thumbs up*

EDIT: I've found 2 compatible air filters, one panel, one cone, both made by Green, so now I truely have a choice.

What are your thoughts on this manufacturer?

There's not a lot to choose between panel air filters. I like the ones that come impregnated with oil as this catches the fine particles of dust more. They are all washable so you'll never need buy another air filter again. I would probably choose the K&N over Green and Piper X over K&N but it really is only my PERSONAL opinion and is not based on experience just a gut feeling! :wink:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back