hey

kearns123

Car
rover 200
hi im john, ive got an R reg rover 200 1.6 16v...im new to this so im hoping for a little advice. I want to put a big as possible engine i can fit into my rover 200 mainly to boost the power to weight ratio and make the car REALLY move, anyone have any ideas on what engine to use for both ease (as its first engine swap) and best performance, thanks john.

hey and welcome.
tomcat engine if you can get it would be a good swap other you would probably notice a big difference with even the NASP 2.0
if you want a challange then im sure the v8 can be shoehorned in there somehow ;)

just remember that the suspension and brakes should also be upgraded along with the gearbox

Welcome to the site. If yours in the engine i'm thinking of, you have the availabilty to do a bit on Honda Tuning as the engine is Honda (this is of course if you dont want an engine swap, to which i'd recomend the 1.8 VVC or the K-series Turbo engine).

You want a T16 turbo engine out of the 620 Ti. If you can source an older spec bottom end and a newer spec head. Mate them to a steel head gasket and you'll have a straight 197Bhp to play with.

Last edited:
You want a T16 turbo engine out of the 620 Ti. If you can source an older spec bottom end and a newer spec head. Mate them to a steel head gasket and you'll have a straight 197Bhp to play with.

how do you mean, older spec bottom and a newer spec head?? what would this result in mate, cheers. john

The older spec bottom ends used Mahle pistons and the newer spec didn't.
Also the newer spec heads don't use a distributor they are wasted spark ignition.
The end result if you mated these to a metal head gasket would be better reliability.

Hello and a warm welcome, I'm really sorry I missed this post. I had a 220GTi for a time.

I agree that the Turbo engine (tomcat) is probably the best you can drop in. You will also need a gearbox, get a torsion diff from quaife and a Scorpion exhaust with a sports cat and you will not be dissapointed.

Have you discovered moto-build racing yet? They were the no1 Rover parts supplier when I had mine. I hate to think how much money I sent their way!:D

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back