Hey peeps :) New to drag, old hat at smashing it off lights :p

sneekydave

Car
106 GTI
hi all

thought id say hello before iu chew ya ear off with my abundance of questions.....after ive trawelled the forum for as much info as i can find.

Cunnently driving a 106 GTI (i have the bloody things but i sell 106 parts so thought it was fitting)

ive liked drag for a while but only just got into it recently after getting on with my mates dad who races (may know of him/his car Rob and Trudy Slater, drives 56' chevy and cossie morris minor)

any hoo, got my little cheese wegde of a pug, stripped it to within an inch of its life........as yet its had everything bar dash and heaters romoved....(id have heaters out now but unfortuantley ive gotta use the car daily so cant really be done over winter in the UK. Got some fast road cams and half decent exhaust, few other little mods.

ive yet to actually get mine down the strip as yet but my mate ran a few 15.0's dead in a pretty much standard 106 so im hoping to slowly work my way down into mid 14's/low 14's once ive got my laughing gas and LC

HOpefully i wanna hit 14.3 for less than 2K, the car cost me £1100 so got £900 left to play with :)

I know this sport costs fair amount but im buggered if im having a money pitt pug when i could throw my money into a more suitable drag car.

so there we go rant over :)

Hello there and may I extend to you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars forums.
It is great to meet you and I hope you enjoy the forums as much as we all do and that you get totally addicted to this site.

It sounds like you have a great project on your hands.

Do feel free to get involved in our other threads too, the more the merrier as they say and we are friendly (being friendly is actually a forum rule!:))

hi all
ive yet to actually get mine down the strip as yet but my mate ran a few 15.0's dead in a pretty much standard 106 so im hoping to slowly work my way down into mid 14's/low 14's once ive got my laughing gas and LC :)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

A Standard 1996 106 GTi runs around 16.4 @85mph so I am wondering what your mate has done to his car to take off 1.4 seconds? I would be interested to know.

NO2 will certainly help, although I suggest that you do some research on how much of the stuff your engine can handle without modifications (I know nothing about Pug engines). 25bhp is usually safe but once you get over 50 things can start to go wrong very quickly.

The right tyres for drag racing is where you will see a big difference in times. Depends how far and how serious you want to take the project.
The clutch will take a serious beating too if you are doing it properly so dont expect it to last longer than usual.
Best thing to do though is to just go down and give it a go to have a good solid base time to start with. You can then change things and see what works best.
Once you have had a couple of tries it becomes very addictive trying to beat your best time. The costs can really build up when taking it seriously.
If you do go down let me know and I may come along and give a few tips. Might stick some better tyres on the rears for next time though. Anyone at the last meet at santapod will know what I mean :)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

A Standard 1996 106 GTi runs around 16.4 @85mph so I am wondering what your mate has done to his car to take off 1.4 seconds? I would be interested to know.

NO2 will certainly help, although I suggest that you do some research on how much of the stuff your engine can handle without modifications (I know nothing about Pug engines). 25bhp is usually safe but once you get over 50 things can start to go wrong very quickly.

He's only running de-cat straight through and filter, we've checked for cams etc......i wouldnt of belived it if id not seen it my self :)

we'll i break GTI's mate so ive piles of clutches, box,x blocks etc.......im expecting to break a few bits :/

I hear a progressive controller makes a huge difference to the amount of NOS you run.....suppose ill soon find out hahahah

Adam1983......that sounds a logical idea, turn up, set a decent time over the day then i have something to work at beating etc/have a good base mark to judge improvements/mods.

I take eyerything with cars seriously lol....as a hobbyist any how ;) the slightest mention of us all going to the drag event and i was straight out to the car stripping it out and weighing each bit as i go. If i run single seat ive lost 101.summit KG over standard ;) and im still using standard glass, leccy windows/heaters/dash like (manual windows and ploycarb to come). even stripped unneeded loom away, no hydrolic lifters on my boot or bonnet. every little thing i could get out without spending any money as im broke atm :/

He's only running de-cat straight through and filter, we've checked for cams etc......i wouldnt of belived it if id not seen it my self :)

What tyres?

I hear a progressive controller makes a huge difference to the amount of NOS you run.....suppose ill soon find out hahahah

A controller is essential for high NO2 levels but would probably help even on 25-50bhp as the shock loading of dumping it all in in one go can be eradicated.

I can't remember exactly what tyres but he's upgrading to toyo T1R's so nothing special in the slightest, he did 15.6, 15.3, 15.0, 15.1. then my other mate drove it and did 15.3 straight off. ran 15psi and slight head wind. I was there. it surprised me each time I know but.it's had new clutch...on its standard flywheel, standard cams, standard manny, straight through, filter. still standard box as it will do happy 135.

tbh from what I've read about people running fair safely around/over 200brake surprisingly, I've actually seen graphs with very impressive curves not just 'peak gains' so to speak with F/I on totally standard internals, no de comp plate etc. it seems with a solid block and all round care I may well get away with pushing my luck, if not I've block and box a plenty. my plan is keeping it all under 2k, I know I can source minimax control and wet wizards kit for 4-500 if I watch eBay etc for bits.

I just need to add lol....I've always been into solid German stuff, vr6 etc. I hate these #!#!#!#!ty plastic French things but ill take my hat off to anything that holds its own and has shamed a type-R or 2 for £1100....before I lost 105.1k and I've not had it mapped for its 708 cams yet. built like mechano but goes like f**k....

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back