help with van conversion

bigdon23

hi guys, i was thinking of buying a golf but since someone i know died in a head on collision its put me off buying a faster car

so instead im thinking of buying a van (not sure on type or size yet) and turning the back into a mobile love nest lol

anyway, im wondering how i would power such things like tv, console, stereo, lights ect

also how this can be done by a complete noob

what materials should i use for the walls, ceiling, floor
and what is the best insulation

and any advise would be greatly appreciated, and 1 point to remember - im not rich, so dont tell me to get marble flooring lol

hi guys, i was thinking of buying a golf but since someone i know died in a head on collision its put me off buying a faster car

so instead im thinking of buying a van (not sure on type or size yet) and turning the back into a mobile love nest lol

anyway, im wondering how i would power such things like tv, console, stereo, lights ect

also how this can be done by a complete noob

what materials should i use for the walls, ceiling, floor
and what is the best insulation

and any advise would be greatly appreciated, and 1 point to remember - im not rich, so dont tell me to get marble flooring lol

Hello there mate and welcome. Fast cars don't always mean big accidents it how you personally drive them. The back of the van would just need to be boarded out with wood. And you would need a power inverter to get the T.V's and what not running. You could maybe do the floor cheaply with laminate flooring.....

My van is a merc sprinter, the chap before me had it as a motocross van, carpeted out floor to ceiling, TV, Microwave ,fridge, Kettle, and 4 double sockets around the walls and downlighters, looked really smart, plus with the sprinter or VW Lt (same body) you have the height too!!

Keep an eye out on ebay and online autotrader they sell for anything from £1500 upwards, as for the VW lt's they have a cambelt as mercs dont.

Last edited:
welcome to TC mate. things use to happen, but you can't blame the cars, when they're being driven by the drivers, and even that you can put some "cage" in your car to make the car body safe from accidents. well, if you think of a van i would go for these: mercedes vito mk1, or VW transporter. they're small, have car abilities, and are good enough for the love nest..... but i also would suggest you double suspension for the nest, if you know what i mean ;)

Yea youve got a point there C69, I had a transporter before the Merc Sprinter, what I would say is the VW Trans can still fit in carparks and multistorey's too! so alot more practical,and you can mod them up big time.

If you do go for the Trans make sure you get a version with turbo diesel as none turbo are very slugish, I think the turbo is a 2.4.

I'd go for a purpose built classic VW camper, there are lots of mods around for them from Porsche engines to sumptuous interiors. You won't have to re-register the van as a camper van either that way.

A big battery or a spare battery wired in parallel will provide enough amps for most things, get low wattage devices though. Fit a calor gas cooker as well ;)

Keep us posted with your deliberations and ideas, it sounds like a great project.