help with my design project

02paynemi

Tuner
Car
A3 1.8t quattro T
I am currently doing a product design university course, and have just been set a new brief; basically I have to design something that fits into the standard jaguar XJ cup holder. A nice change of pace from the kid’s toys etc, we normally have to design.
Just thought I’d start with sum research, what sort of thing do people need in their cars? Coin holders? Cigarette holder? Something to keep youur sunglasses safe? Slightly stuck for ideas at the moment.

is it a fold away cup holder ? or one thats out all the time.

if its a fold away how about a second fold out screen for a rear view camera, or for a dedicated sat nav leaving the main screen for audio.

how about designing something to fit in cup holder to keep drinks upright, number of times i have went round a bend and drink has nearly fell out cos there is only half an inch of the cup actually in holder which isnt good if its a full cup of coffee to start my journey off with.

just an idea cos i could really do with one lol

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm or could design a coffee machine that fits in there lol (cos i always end up forgetting mines there and go to drink it when its cold :( and cant be bothered to stop to get another one.

its in the arm rest and holds two cups.

That's going to restrict your options a bit then.

You should be pitching this at the company car sector, those with mobile offices.
  • A Blackberry docking station,
  • Phone/bluetooth dock?
  • Dispensor for parking coins and perhaps passes?
  • Something that could be removed easily, carried in a briefcase/laptop bag and then sat beside their pc/laptop to synchronise?

What about an emergency toolkit comprising of a high power LED, seat belt cutter, Diamond tipped point to break the window, an attack alarm/warning siren. The other one could have a heater installed to actually warm up water to cup of tea temperature. A small coil with a metal based cup ought to suffice on that score.

Or perhaps an Ipod docking/charging station?