Hello, which car to choose??

Ewock

Car
'88 300ZX Turbo
Hello everyone

It's a new year filled with new hope. About me.... I'm 19 and going into the United States Air Force. Without getting into too much detail, over the years I've worked on a '88 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (which my father "reclaimed" once it was in working order and his car fell apart due to his negligence :mad: ) and a 1972 Datsun 240z, which, while at a college prep course, my father or mother drove over a curb or something and somehow managed to bend the frame.

Yes, my vehicular history has never seemed to bode well with family, but I'm going to the service and beginning my own life. From what I understand, most servicemen get a lease on a nice new car (like a 370z with sport and nav package :love: ). But... I'm a little grease monkey, gear head, wrench monkey, or whatever else you'd like to call it and I have no shame in saying it.

To satisfy my mechanical needs, I want to work on my car. To be a part of its process. Since both of my previous cars were, in one way or another, taken from me... I would like to work on one. I just don't know which. The Datsun is so classic, and a beautiful car. It has a sporty, yet elegant look to it. The engine bay is spacious with its straight six, the black gauges and is pure mechanics with little to no sensors. The 300ZX is the red headed step child of the 300ZX's, has the turbo, V6, digital dash, flip lights....

It kills me, I don't know which to go with. I don't know if I'll be able to afford both, but if i do, I would opinions on which to work on first. I'm not into the super ricey looking cars, stickers in the windows (5+ horsepower, :p ), but I am into it a bit. I don't mind racing seats, aftermarket gauges, exhaust, or engine upgrades. While that will work with the Nissan, it won't work with the Datsun. At least, not yet. The Datsun, I want to restore more so before modifying like that. The Nissan I can modify in that manner. But since both cars were taken from me too early, I can't really decide, but need to fill this void.

So...... with all that said.... what are your opinions?

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend :)

Please feel free to have a look around the website, there are many varied and interesting articles to read on all manner of car modifying subjects.

Also, you may find our members project threads and photo gallery very useful as a source of inspiration towards your own very special project!

Good luck to you & I hope you enjoy the forum! :)

Welcome to TorqueCars :bigsmile:

For me it would have to be the 240Z all day long! A true classic and rarely seen these days. If you can do the work required then don't let it go, you will live to regret it one day if you do let it go.

That's what I was leaning towards. I'm just afraid the addiction to always wanting to keep working will make me lose sight of the classic, elegant Z car and start adding racing seats, aftermarket gauges, 4 point harnesses, engine swap (rb25dett). Things like an electric fuel pump, HIDs and what not are not THAT much of a concern. Its just that I want it to be a fast/quick car (didn't get to really see if mine was quick or not before leaving). So part of me is saying mod it, and part of me is saying to keep it as is.

Give me the 300zx too and I'll mod that. I've seen raced out 240z cars that look nice, but I dont think I would want to do that. I'll drop a new motor in the 300zx. haha

hi your probably not going to agree with me on this one but.. i would start with something totally different from what you have already had, speaking from experience i built a track day/road car i ended up selling it and when i got back on my feet i got a new car the same model built it to the same spec and no it just wasn't that 1st car i sold or built. Id move on challenge your self to something new and have a play with that

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also considered an Audi A3 due to their rather easy tuning capabilities. But I will say I am attracted to the Datsun and Nissan for sentimental reasons, as well as the THOUGHT that the start up price for the cars will be much lower. Lastly, it'd be the first car I had the opportunity to be thoroughly a part of and to mod/restore. The last thing I'd want is to bite of more than I can chew, especially if the car may end up my daily driver during a portion of this process.

But I will admit that it has crossed my mind. Even when it comes to thinking about another car, I am limited. I do not want a track car, but one I can drive on the streets. Yet, a racing seat with back seats (and especially a harness) looks funny. So maybe I need to visit the gallery section and some higher end/exotic cars to get inspiration.

I appreciate the train of thought. All thoughts are welcome.

I think it will cost more to run a Datsun than an A3. If it has a good history you shouldn't go far wrong with it though.

The classics will depreciate a lot more slowly and they do look so nice! Have you driven all the cars you're looking at. For me this is the acid test and I've been put right off a few cars just by the test drive.

So are you advocating the Datsun despite the cost, or the A3? I was a tad lost.

I've driven and owned an '88 300zx turbo and a '72 Datsun (very briefly). I have not driven the A3. A good portion of the reason I considered an A3 is due to an understanding that they are relatively easy to tune, mod, and develop gains. It also has something the others don't...back seats. In the future, from a realistic view, that may actually hold more weight than it does now. I wool admit, the hatch design of the A3 is a bit unattractive to me. The tt quatro is too bubbly. Yet a lancer or wrx may be out of my budget

I disagree that a Datsun would cost more to run than an A3. Parts on the A3 can be quite expensive although they are reliable cars.

May I as the site admin wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars. It is really nice to meet you and I hope you'll be spending some time with us over the months to come.

You'll find us one of the friendliest and most helpful car tuning forums around.

What plans do you have for your car? I'm sure we can give you lots of ideas and suggestions if you need any.

Do feel free to chip in on our other topics and discussions, we are all here to share our passion for cars. Being friendly and helpful is a forum rule here and I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back