Hello to all

goldenarms

Car
vw jetta 2.0L
I'm a newbie from Pennsylvania, US and I'm 23. Currently, I have a 99 Jetta 2.0L which was passed onto me from my uncle. It also happens to be my first car. The car runs well but I've been told by two mechanics that it needs a very good tuning so I've decided to make it my summer project. Hope all my questions will be answered here. Also, Idont know where to start so please help!! Any suggestion will be welcomed.

Last edited:
hey and welcome mate.
if you got the same 2.0 8v that we got rip it out as it is pretty poor in suh a heavish car (Jetta 4 / Bora is around 1300-1400)

Hello there and a warm welcome. Nice to meet you, what engine mods are you planning and how much are you planning to spend?

Hello there and a warm welcome. Nice to meet you, what engine mods are you planning and how much are you planning to spend?

Well im looking to gain more power because the car runs very sluggish now with some weird vibration when I accelerate.:sad2:

:toung: yup 115bhp against fitting an S3 engine and map your looking at 270bhp for a couple of grand and beer tokens for someone who can code the ECU and clocks up (takes a few mins if your lucky)

:lol:Sounds great but where can I begin searching for such an engine?

scrapyards, ebay.
if your wanting cheap power without going and messing around with the turbo etc then look towards

AUM - 150 standrad 210 mapped good for 240
AUQ - 180 standard more or less the same as the AUM but different standard map
AMK - 210bhp 270ish mapped
BAM - 225 stadard 270ish mapped. but these do carry a premium

if your wanting to go down the idea of big power then look towards the earlier AGU engine code 150bhp able to take around 200 before the turbo is heavily strained but has the strongest internals, around 350 bhp, compared to the more normal 300, which is seen as the safe level

scrapyards, ebay.
if your wanting cheap power without going and messing around with the turbo etc then look towards

AUM - 150 standrad 210 mapped good for 240
AUQ - 180 standard more or less the same as the AUM but different standard map
AMK - 210bhp 270ish mapped
BAM - 225 stadard 270ish mapped. but these do carry a premium

if your wanting to go down the idea of big power then look towards the earlier AGU engine code 150bhp able to take around 200 before the turbo is heavily strained but has the strongest internals, around 350 bhp, compared to the more normal 300, which is seen as the safe level

Thanks!!! thats very helpful:p . And so the search begins.

Im in the course of searching for a powerful engine but I have some questions. if I decide to keep the 2.0, is there any mods I can do to it. Just to improve it's performance?

yeah but its more expensive for the small gains that you will get. the problem is the bora isnt exactly light (1340kgs) so the 2.0 only gives 85bhp/ton.
say you spend grand getting stuff done and walk away with a 20bhp gain you end up with 100bhp/ton

for a grand you should be able to pic up a early 1.8t with 150, $300 later and your looking at 190

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back