headlights

mbw1406

Wrench Pro
Car
mitsubishi gto twin
Anyone know how much a set of headlights can be got for a 94 GTO and what kind of a price tag would be on them? They're not the pop up ones. One of mines broke and you cant hardly see through the glass of the other one:sad2:

£560, the last time i bought one for a customer, it may have been more, can't remember really but not cheap. Have a look on ebay and get one from someone who's breaking a Mk2.
Are yours the glass projector style or the plastic ones ? Is it just the lacquer that has deteriorated as this can be flatted out and repainted ?

£560, the last time i bought one for a customer, it may have been more, can't remember really but not cheap. Have a look on ebay and get one from someone who's breaking a Mk2.
Are yours the glass projector style or the plastic ones ? Is it just the lacquer that has deteriorated as this can be flatted out and repainted ?
They're the glass projector type ones. The plastic housing got melted on one of them (long story) Its badly melted with holes on underside, the mountings, glass and projector units are all fine so I wonder could it be repaired someway until I come across a used set?
Ive got to get them opened to clean them on the inside, the glass is very cloudy on them......not to difficult a job from what ive heard???

It's not a clean job, nor is it quick but it can be done with patience.
I'm assuming that you have a Mk2 onwards. Remove the lights from the car. Remove the bulbs and clips between the upper and lower halves of the unit, they're metal and look like greenhouse glass clips. That was the simple bit.
When i took mine apart i used a heat gun and played heat around the sealant between the two halves, keep the heat moving and warm up all the sealant. It will soften quite quickly then gently prise the two halves apart. It does get messy as you open the unit and the sealant parts, it will leave tails of the stuff but keep moving the heat round the whole unit and you will eventually get the top off. Trim and tidy up the sealant when it cools. Clean the insides. Putting it together again is simple enoung. With the sealant tidied up, press the two halves together and gently warm it all up again pressing the two halves together and re-seal the unit. Replace the clips and have a check for any areas that need tidying etc.
If you have a Mk1, [pop-ups] don't bother, just fit the upgraded units.

I got my lights opened up and cleaned, a little messy like you said but they turned out fine. I thought I'd have much better light from them afterwards but thats not the case, the lights are still very weak on it. Is this common or is it a problem with my lights and do you have any suggestions on how to improve them
Thanks

Osram nightbreakers are highly recommended and I've used the Phillips Brilliance 80% brighter ones in my car and am quite pleased with them. See the thread on headlights in the general chat forum for more info on these.

gto yr 1991 pop up head lamps stuck up!!!!! grrrrrrrrr wont go down any help please dont even know were the fuse is to check the fuse on it PLEASE HEALP THANKS

On the right hand side of the dash there are two buttons, one is for the front fogs, the other is for remote headlight pop up. The first check is to see if you have pressed that in without noticing, which will of course put the lights up.

cheers country bumpkin all done but a right fart on!
however new prob... this morning i turned on the headlights and no illumination of the speedo or rev counter... also no tail lights but brake lights do work?... any ideas welcome...

I'm guessing here but on stage one of the light switch, nothing happens in the illumination scenario, sorry can't remember the full detail from this morning.
Turn to stage two and the headlights work on dip and main/flash ?
Headlight switch/stalk has failed.

cheers country bumpkin... thats exactly what i thought last night after mulling it over for a few hours...... don't suppose you know where i could get one do you?.. reasonably local cos i have to be parked up before it gets dark! lol