HDi has lost the plot

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
OK, some might he's found the plot.

But to end the confusion I've just gone and bought a used 528i.

Which is petrol. Yes, petrol. not derv.

So you can now abuse me instead for buying an automatic. :)

I think I need to sit in a dark quiet place for a while to come to terms with this!

I guess the question is, why did this car peak your interest more than any other? What are the stats like? What are your first impressions of it?

I'm actually leaning towards a Tiptronic style transmission in my next car, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I've always liked autos and there's no way I'm taking a 4 cyl diesel with an auto. Sadly 530d out of the question on price at the moment.

This was a budget purchase to replace the old Seat - at the moment we're still operating as a one car family so went for something larger than the Ibiza. This came up at a good price and with a cast iron history I have verified, so, why not?

I'm picking it up next Sat when dealer has fully PDi'd the car.

The box is a 5-spd Steptronic (if you want to wrest control from the ECU) and works very well indeed. Also works quite happily in D anyway, which is the general idea of automatic X-mission.

The mapped HDi 2.2 would [have] outpull[ed] it in in overtaking moves but not by a great margin. The Pug in stock tune would lose out the the BMW.

It sounds like a win win to me.

Is there much to be gained by remapping this? (You might also be able to get faster gear changes depending on how the ECU for the gearbox works!)

I'm sure Prince will applaud your decision.:D

About 8 bhp I'd imagine. Anything without forced induction doesn't really present a realistic mapping prospect.

The box is one of the adaptive types which does all sorts of things like, change down if you brake whilst descending hills, for example. It does feel pretty intuitive but I've only driven it 20 odd miles so far.

The changes are typically slurred uder light load but full throttle it tautens up nicely, kicks down the box as far as possible withou over-revving and then upchanges much 'harder' than in normal driving mode.

I have driven the Steptronic before but that was in a 535d - totally different prospect so can't really compare the cars.

I found a tuning box on ebay for this for £50 that gives you a massive 50bhp boost and more fuel economy! :D Do you want the link?