have car makers discriminated against britain

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
have car makers discriminated against the british car buyers over the years????

this discussion came up the other day at work when i mentioned that seat did a 4x4 leon for the rest of europe and the other countries they exported it to
why wasnt this option offered??? im sure it would have sold quite well!!

then a few other examples we came up with was the fiat uno got electric windows and leather seats as an option everywhere else

the mk3 astra had the option of leather, the ts had the c20let as standard, there saloons had 5 dr skirts, and a gsi rear bumpers

a few years back alot of car makers gave you the option of air con or a sunroof and not both but everywhere else had the option of both

there have been more powerful engines released for certain cars that the brits never got to see unless they imported 1 (sorry cant think of an example but i know it has happened!!)

im sure there are losts of other examples of other countries getting better spec cars as standard and more options than we the brits where offered!!

but why was this ????

Air con was also an option for the Punto GT in some european countries but not the UK. Very rare though.

I think it works both ways. UK Supra for example, had more power, glass headlights (instead of plastic that has a tendancy to yellow on these cars) and better brakes. Despite being a Japanese car!

It's just car companies trying to cater for the market. Let's face it, sunroofs aren't useful here very often anyways :lol:

My 406 was allegedly available frmo new in Germany in a state of tune similar to my UK model remapped car. Whether it's discrimination is a different issue. I suspect it could well be to do with the British drivers' obsession with fuel economy. We'll pay ten grand over the odds to save 3 gallons of fuel a year. The importers know this

Jaguar, TVR to name 2! Oh and er Rover?:confused: Perhaps Twamgl3 was being ironic?;)

I think we get a pretty raw deal. Why didn't we get the Polo with the 1.8T engine? That would have sold well, perhaps it would have dented GTi sales. Converting LHD may also be another factor limiting our options.

I'm sure we get models that other parts of the world don't....

.... I just can't think of any at the moment.

We don't get the Mitsubishi Eclipse, any of the Scion range, the current Honda Civic Coupe (which is WELL cooler looking than the Type S or Type R we get - want a three door Civic? Tough, unless you've got the full five years NCB, you'll have to drive a scratty four door like all the Nissan Note Dads that have given up on life). In fact, come to think of it, there's a better tuned Civic Type R that's only available in Japan, even though it's built here, so Honda skank us more than most.

Oh yeah, and if you want a DC5 Integra, you'll have to pay well over the odds to get one imported as well! Honda suck a$$.

Your not into Hondas regional targetting policy then BLN? Count slowly to 10.......now breathe! :lol:;)