Had the RS at Pumabuild yesterday...

MasterAuron

Very Senior Member
Car
Mk1 Focus RS
...on the Dyno Dynamics 450.

04022011873.jpg

223.1bhp and 255ftlb STANDARD right down to the Ford air filter, plugs, oil etc etc. Mega :amuse:

No no no at the flywheel, it's only standard. 220 at the wheels would be about 260 at the flywheel. Not going mad with it this year TN.

Ford quote 212bhp and 229ftlb torque as a minimum figure btw but most make ITRO 215-220 on accurate rollers like those above.

No no no at the flywheel, it's only standard. 220 at the wheels would be about 260 at the flywheel.

Would a front wheel drive car lose that much power through the drivetrain? I would expect that from a 4WD or even a rear wheel drive but fwd is supposed to be more efficient with it's power delivery

good result though mate, it must be able to put a smile on your face round those backroads

For bragging rites everyone goes for power, what about the MPG :lol:? I bet the dyno didn't tell this most important figure ;)

Well done MA, I bet you are pretty chuffed with that.

For bragging rites everyone goes for power, what about the MPG :lol:? I bet the dyno didn't tell this most important figure ;)

Well done MA, I bet you are pretty chuffed with that.

What about MPG? ask me that question when i'm OG's age :lol:

Would a front wheel drive car lose that much power through the drivetrain? I would expect that from a 4WD or even a rear wheel drive but fwd is supposed to be more efficient with it's power delivery

good result though mate, it must be able to put a smile on your face round those backroads

It will lose around 17% from the fly to the wheels. The reason I assumed at the wheels as well is because I thought the power was measured at the wheels and then converted into a measurement for the fly.

It will lose around 17% from the fly to the wheels. The reason I assumed at the wheels as well is because I thought the power was measured at the wheels and then converted into a measurement for the fly.

you are right, what they do is take the reading from the wheels and then let it run down measuring the mechanical drag, then they convert the run down figure to the extra horses at the flywheel but I didn't think a FWD car would lose that much through what is basically a few cogs and driveshafts:lol:

how much in comparrison would a 4WD and a RWD car lose?

Good guess if it was, these cars consistently suffer around 16 or 17% drivetrain loss, although it's not really accurate or sensible to measure drivetrain losses in a fixed percentage for reasons I can't be bothered to go into atm.

Also, just to clear things up this was done purely for comparison purposes as I will be using the same dyno in the same shootout mode after every few mods. If I want to know how quick the car is in a straight line I will go to Santa Pod!

so thats (if i've worked it out properly) about 25% (a little less actually but i rounded it up)

would you say thats a pretty standard figure for 4WD cars?, i'm just trying to understand the difference between the three types, I guess the weight of the drivetrain plays a big part, would the length of the prop shaft make any difference? (obviously not on FWD cars:lol:)

Good guess if it was, these cars consistently suffer around 16 or 17% drivetrain loss, although it's not really accurate or sensible to measure drivetrain losses in a fixed percentage for reasons I can't be bothered to go into atm.

The basic of which I'm sure relate to every car being different. The 17% is just a generalisation across all makes.

What gear was used?

you are right, what they do is take the reading from the wheels and then let it run down measuring the mechanical drag, then they convert the run down figure to the extra horses at the flywheel but I didn't think a FWD car would lose that much through what is basically a few cogs and driveshafts:lol:

how much in comparrison would a 4WD and a RWD car lose?

After research and talking to various owners I discovered that both my old Honda Civic (FWD) and my current BMW E36 (RWD) will both lose around 17% from wheels to fly.

did they say that it was at the wheels?, cause chances are that's what it is and the actual output of the engine is a bit higher,

Manufacturers figures are almost always at the flywheel.

Prince, the run was done in 3rd gear which is widely regarded as the most suitable gear to run a 5 spd on a Dyno Dynamics roller. However, as it's not an intertia style dyno you could have run it in any gear and produced a consistent result as long as the ramp rate was changed to suit.

most manufactures now measure at the fly as standard. its also a little more off than that as newer cars are measured in PS rather than Bhp, granted its only a few bhp per 100.

nice figures MA didnt realise these were so powerful standard

edit: MA beat me to it