Golden rules of car tuning

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What is your car tuning golden rule?

Mine is this "Over engineer everything - make things much stronger or with larger capacity than you need!"

What is your top tip to any budding car modder out there?

Think big! and You get what you pay for,
make sure you know what your doin, if not sure get a pro of someone you know who knows what they are doing

- Don't go out of your depth.
- Research everything.
- Stay specific (If you want a track car don't suddenly decide you want an ICE install).
- Think logical.
- Keep within a budget (things can get very expensive and you can easily spend money you don't have).

tripple check everything before you do a performance test. Alot of breakdowns are due to a nut, gasket or wire that isn't where it should be. Also, label everything you disconnect on both the hose/wire and the part it came off of, saves time and headaches.

Mine is quite simple, don't try to get more out of the motor than the brakes and suspension can handle.
You can make a car quicker by getting it round bends faster/safer and with better braking without doing anything to the power side of things.

if you don't understand or have the knowledge leave it aloan.
i once witnessed a VW golf with a home lightned flywheel spit it out through the bottom of the gearbox and imbed itself into a concrete floor. muppet!

- Don't go out of your depth.
- Research everything.
- Stay specific (If you want a track car don't suddenly decide you want an ICE install).
- Think logical.
- Keep within a budget (things can get very expensive and you can easily spend money you don't have).

Agree, except for 'Think logical'. If you do that you end up with what everyone else has. Thinking outside the box and laterally gets you to places no one else has been - much more fun :)