Getting a bit of AIR

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you ever managed to get air, (do a jump) in your car? Did the car cope ok?

I got some over a large humped bridge,the suspension was quite soft so as the rear hit the ground I sent sparks flying. I wasn't going that quick either but I must admit it scared me!

It was actually in my first car when this happened, just before I wrote it off! I've not done it since!

I have kicked up an inside wheel on heavy cornering though.

Back in my rebellious youth I may have done things like this.

There is a stretch of road near where I used to live with a bit of a hump on a long straight. I found (through extensive testing) that my Golf would gain air if I hit that bump at 65mph. With friends I further tested and found that with 3 passengers I could still gain air at 75mph!

On one of my groups random drive arounds I found myself on this stretch of road. Of the three friends in my car only the one in the front seat had been privy to these tests and when I started to accelerate he knew what was coming and braced himself against the roof.

The timing was perfect with the music pumping from the 6 speaker system. As I hit the hump the music stopped for a moment and as we landed it started up again. My rear seat passengers were screaming for more but I declined as the event had left part of my exhaust on the road behind us.

Damn, the adrenaline rush was fun. We felt like this
f.jpg

but the lesson was learned - stuff like that breaks cars and it was more like this
auspuffab.jpg

(not my actual golf ;) )

Got some air today over a humped bridge in the countryside. Kinda took me by surprise (and the car)