Garage or DIY

billyo

Track Warrior
When it comes to taking the car to the garage and Doing It Yourself which do you prefer?

Are there only somethings you will do yourself? Is this due to time or ability or having the right tools?

I've heard loads of people say that they dont trust garages to do a proper job and will do it properly themeselves but is there any truth in this?

i think the only thing i will never have a go at doing my self is a cambelt, water pump, tensioners cause i dont have the knowledge to do it. and even with a good guide i still wouldnt have a go.
but from now on i will be doing all the servicing myself to. its not really worth the extra money you pay a garage just for a stamp in the service book. and by the time i get rid of the leon fully stamped service history wont really add any resale value to the car

Everything and anything apart from cambelt, water pump etc on the Alfa GT because I can't be arsed. And mapping, because I can't :bigsmile:

Time is a big factor with me. Also I don't have a large dry garage to work in so most jobs go to the garage. Thankfully I trust the garage and they take the same care of my car as I do.

i dont really have a choice as i would need to get a second job if i had to pay someone else to work on my cars , i have enough pain paying for parts and the dyno . For me its D I Y or give it a miss .

always try to do it DIY, though the fords coming up to 75K miles this week, meaning a cambelt change, which i cant do because it requiers the dismantling of a large amont of the engine for some bizzare reason. so a nice bill on its way then.

(it did break once before, but since the car is mainly used on short journeys it really needs a change every 40k or so )