future clutch issues on a st170

globetrotter

Car
st170 three door
hi there dont think the clutch has got much life left in my st170 ,i noticed when i looking at buying an st that a few had changed the clutch and flywheel ,is this a common problem,what mods can be done,plus if in future i increase the power is a paddle clutch aviable option.

What is the mileage? A performance clutch seems sensible to me, especially if you are planning a power upgrade.

If you use the clutch to match engine to transmission speed then it will wear quickly. Get into heel and toe and try to use the clutch at lower RPM ranges and it will last nearly forever!

if your not looking at major engine upgrades then the OEM fDMF and flywheel should be enough.
your right that both need changed together otherwise they will generally wear the new clutch out very quickly.
have a look see if there is a SMF conversion especially if your looking at keeping the car for a long time as this will mean you should only have to get a clutch next time

pros and cons to each, to be honest though the st isnt going to had a whole whack of torque suddenly hitting the gearbox as the likes of a big turbo diesel does even then your seeing taxi drivers that are changing them out for SMF due to the cost of the DMF and a clutch costing around £1k. seen a good few on other forums that are now on the 200k + with no issues after the DMF failing around 80k.