Friends that know it all

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you got any mates who "know it all" when it comes to cars but when they open their mouths it is clear they don't have a clue?

What sort of things do they try to fob you off with? How do you deal with it? Are you ever tempted to pull rank and "educate them!"

they dont bother
half my mates are mechanic's and the other half know that i am so dont even go there lol

I have a small group of good racing friends. However, one of them thinks there is only one way to do things and that is the way his engine builder and the other drag racing 'experts' he knows do it. Therefore, everything I am doing is wrong as it isn't how he has been told to do it. Wrong ECU, wrong fuel pumps (or rather too many), wrong diff, etc, etc. We shall see.

Have you got any mates who "know it all" when it comes to cars but when they open their mouths it is clear they don't have a clue?

What sort of things do they try to fob you off with? How do you deal with it? Are you ever tempted to pull rank and "educate them!"

I come across quite of few of these types, My policy has always been to let the "know it alls" talk to their hearts content, and never offer advice unless asked for. The worst are the armchair types , who with a little technical knowledge, spout off on subjects that they have only superficial know how, with no practical experience.
Personally, my policy has been to tender advice and practical help to anyone in real need for solving a problem that I know the answer of, and also say a simple truthful "I do not know" to any question that is beyond my ken.

I never try to "educate" the know alls as after all at my age what could I possibly know?....

Yeah, my step bro is a classic one of these. He is a know it all. I know he means well but somethimes you just feel like telling him to shut his hole. He does know a little about cars and things. Although, I will say he is not one of these types that will tell you something if he would'nt do it to his own car. Mind, saying that, he has gone through a 206 pug, a vw polo, 106 pug, 318 bmw, 206 pug (a diferent one), bmw 320, bmw 325, bmw 330 all in the last two and a half years!!!!!!!! Most of them are broke!!!!! If you ever meat him dont let him any where neer your motor!!!!!

Yeah, my step bro is a classic one of these. He is a know it all. I know he means well but somethimes you just feel like telling him to shut his hole. He does know a little about cars and things. Although, I will say he is not one of these types that will tell you something if he would'nt do it to his own car. Mind, saying that, he has gone through a 206 pug, a vw polo, 106 pug, 318 bmw, 206 pug (a diferent one), bmw 320, bmw 325, bmw 330 all in the last two and a half years!!!!!!!! Most of them are broke!!!!! If you ever meat him dont let him any where neer your motor!!!!!

:lol::lol: Classic example.