Fit a Turbo on a Motorhome

Zacharius123

Car
Ducato 2lt petrol
Hi my name is Zac and i own a Ducato motorhome i know its not a sports car but i love it , My Fiat Ducto Motorhome is a 2 LT petrol engine 1993 40,000 mile on the clock it is called a Highwayman anyway it is totally under powered it has allways been a problem with this model. Would fitting a turbo work i don't want to become a road racer just a little extra power to get me up the hills and do above 65 on the motorway. I know it sounds like the engine is knackered but its not thats the way this model is. can anyone advise me please?. Thanks Zac

Thanks for that Xavier, i have looked into that but it is very expensive mind you after saying that i don't know how much a Turbo would cost

For your needs, a water cooled turbo such as a Mitsubishi TDO4 would be the best bet, these are reliable units and are to be found in most breaker yards, they were fitted to Izuzu engines amongst others...

Thanks pgarner, I didn't realise that they were that expensive,Thanks indiaman thats worth a look, never thought of a breakers yard. I wonder how much it would cost to ft it?

I didn't realise that they were that expensive,Thanks indiaman thats worth a look, never thought of a breakers yard. I wonder how much it would cost to ft it?

A good used TDO4 will cost you around 15 to 20,000 Rupees here in India, (about 200 to 250 UK Pounds) you should be able to pick one at one of your breakers in the UK for less.

I'd say strip down the engine and get it rebored to a larger capacity, then reasemble with some head work like porting and gas flowing and you will have a bit more power.

Ideally you need a bigger engine though. See if there are any 2.8 petrol transplants around that will fit.