Filling up on an empty tank

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I recently had this email sent to me.

"I was wondering if I refuel untill a few days after the red light goes on- does that kill my engine- someone told me that this can cause dust to settle in there and end up costing a fortune- is this true- and so is it a requirment that one refuel untill as soon as the see the orange light go on or is possible to just ignore it for while."

So I thought i'd throw it open to our members for feeback.

I would say that with modern fuel filters the worst thing that can happen is that the fuel filter gets clogged up more quickly, but the question is I suppose, does dirt and grime build up in a fuel tank? (And where does it come from?)

The fuel tank and pipes will be close to sterile when they get fitted. Any muck and dirt, would be a build up in what comes out of the fuel. There might be tiny specs of muck in the fuel, and, over time build up in the fuel tank. That's the only explanation I can think off, don't go buy what I have said tho. :blink:

Does the fuel tank corrode slightly over time???

ya a tank will rust over time have had to change many due rust

and it is them little specs of muck that get past the fuel filters and sit in the injectors
as the fuel filters stop all the bigger bits but not the smaller bits that do the damage

and yes running a tank low a lot of the time will help you bring these bits up

dont see it so much in brand new cars but cars that are a few years old always blocking the jets on the carb or the injectors

I think in Gasoline engines, there is no chance of dirt build up, except rust formation due to weathers or moisture in it, but in a Diesel one, it might get a bit clogged up to the fuel filter because Diesel is prone to gather dirt because of it's high Viscosity.

newer tanks are plastic so dont rust

in cars they are but ones at the pumps are years old under ground
you look at the older stations that have been there since say the 60's they have still the same tanks in the ground since it was built

but is not seen as much now is getting a thing of the past but do get the odd one or two

This quote has had some answers already of course but.......:lol:
No-one has mentioned the fairly obvious point:confused:
My electronics give me an audible and visual note of low fuel (as do most if not all more modern cars)
This means that I have some 50 miles left of travel.
It seems to me rather foolish to then ignore that warning and continue to travel on regardless and would only seem to be necessary when perhaps, on an Mway with a considerable distance to next Services:blink:possible turn off to off Mway service/fuel station
Personally, running on with ANY warning light lit will doubtless cause minor to major probs if not dealt with ASAP seems to be logical.
OTHERWISE:
I would like to add the following to ALL my quotes/replies Can it be inserted automatically or do I need to write it each time??:embarrest:

NEVER TRADE LUCK FOR SKILL!!
I recently had this email sent to me.

"I was wondering if I refuel untill a few days after the red light goes on- does that kill my engine- someone told me that this can cause dust to settle in there and end up costing a fortune- is this true- and so is it a requirment that one refuel untill as soon as the see the orange light go on or is possible to just ignore it for while."

So I thought i'd throw it open to our members for feeback.

I would say that with modern fuel filters the worst thing that can happen is that the fuel filter gets clogged up more quickly, but the question is I suppose, does dirt and grime build up in a fuel tank? (And where does it come from?)

In a new car I dont think it matters if you run the tank low. Just dont run out of fuel cos that causes major probs!

(Glabus I think you want that phrase to be a signature so it appears automatically under each post you make, but I'm not sure how to do them on this site yet. Maybe someone else can help.)

This quote has had some answers already of course but.......:lol:
No-one has mentioned the fairly obvious point:confused:
My electronics give me an audible and visual note of low fuel (as do most if not all more modern cars)
This means that I have some 50 miles left of travel.
It seems to me rather foolish to then ignore that warning and continue to travel on regardless and would only seem to be necessary when perhaps, on an Mway with a considerable distance to next Services:blink:possible turn off to off Mway service/fuel station
Personally, running on with ANY warning light lit will doubtless cause minor to major probs if not dealt with ASAP seems to be logical.
OTHERWISE:
I would like to add the following to ALL my quotes/replies Can it be inserted automatically or do I need to write it each time??:embarrest:

NEVER TRADE LUCK FOR SKILL!!

:bigsmile:Not every one has the luxury of being able to drive upto 450 miles on one tank of fuel! 50 miles is 1/5 of my tank! lol

If im on the motorway and the light comes on, I know to pull into a services within the next 35 miles. There is not always an opotunity do dive into the 'pits' as soon as the light comes on.

Glabus, find the profile option towards the top of the forum on the left, just below the main menu and just above the reply button. You can set your signature in here.

well, i got a run to kent to do next saturday and will filling her up, resetting the trip computer and will be seeing how much i get off a full tank. was also thinking of chucking in some diesel redex in to clean it at the same time ? any reasons why i shouldnt ?

Any contaminants in the tank will be swirling around in the fuel as most tanks are not baffled.

Fuel pickup is close to the bottom of the tank as otherwise there would be unavailable fuel, therefore the fuel is picked up from the bottom of the tank whether it is full or nearly empty. The myth about picking up muck when running low is exactly that.

Therfore, runnning a tank low isn't a problem, so do it if you want (I do it reguarly as I hate wasting my time queing at filling stations).

Any contaminants in the tank will be swirling around in the fuel as most tanks are not baffled.

Fuel pickup is close to the bottom of the tank as otherwise there would be unavailable fuel, therefore the fuel is picked up from the bottom of the tank whether it is full or nearly empty. The myth about picking up muck when running low is exactly that.

Therfore, runnning a tank low isn't a problem, so do it if you want (I do it reguarly as I hate wasting my time queing at filling stations).

Are you one of those peeps that will stretch the pump hose over your car to get to the filler hole on the opposite side?
Instead of being patient and waiting for a pump on your side? :cheesy:

Are you one of those peeps that will stretch the pump hose over your car to get to the filler hole on the opposite side?
Instead of being patient and waiting for a pump on your side? :cheesy:

Of course, that is why fuel stations have increased the length of the hoses! I have often nipped onto empty pumps as people are waiting for the 'right' sided pump to become available :) I have much better things to waste my time on than sitting at fuel stations :)

Of course, that is why fuel stations have increased the length of the hoses! I have often nipped onto empty pumps as people are waiting for the 'right' sided pump to become available :) I have much better things to waste my time on than sitting at fuel stations :)

But Steve, you are retired!

It's your prerogative to not waste time doing anything you'd rather not waste time upon.

Retirement is something that even my generation (40+ currently) is never likely to encounter until much later in our lives. Due to flaky UK and world economic situations it won't happen.

I truly do not grudge you any of it at all though.

Go and enjoy it mate. When the sun shines, make hay.

Kind rgds,

Paul.

Impatient git. :lol::lol::lol:

Old, yes, impatient, no - just trying to not waste time when it isn't necessary. Why sit with engine running waiting for a pump on the same side as the filler when the petrol companies have made it easy by extending fuel pump lines? No brainer as far as I am concerned.

But please carry on waiting as this leaves the pumps free for me to use :)

But Steve, you are retired!

It's your prerogative to not waste time doing anything you'd rather not waste time upon.

Retirement is something that even my generation (40+ currently) is never likely to encounter until much later in our lives. Due to flaky UK and world economic situations it won't happen.

I truly do not grudge you any of it at all though.

Go and enjoy it mate. When the sun shines, make hay.

Kind rgds,

Paul.

Yes, I think I have been "lucky" to be old enough to be able to retire now whilst relatively fit.

Also, I will be replying to your posting on the speed limit signs once I have calmed down enough to keep it civilised :)

Yes, I think I have been "lucky" to be old enough to be able to retire now whilst relatively fit.

Also, I will be replying to your posting on the speed limit signs once I have calmed down enough to keep it civilised :)

Hello Steve, hope you're well. Nice to hear from you again.

Please do reply to my posts about speed limit signs whenever it suits you.

Please don't worry at all that you might not be calm when replying.

Furthermore, if you're not calm and can't keep it civilised I will not bear any grudges whatsoever.

Kind regards,

Paul Anderson.

Old, yes, impatient, no - just trying to not waste time when it isn't necessary. Why sit with engine running waiting for a pump on the same side as the filler when the petrol companies have made it easy by extending fuel pump lines? No brainer as far as I am concerned.

But please carry on waiting as this leaves the pumps free for me to use :)

I'm only playing buddy. The only reason I don't do it is because I don't want to scratch me car. :amuse:

I'm only playing buddy. The only reason I don't do it is because I don't want to scratch me car. :amuse:

I know :)

The trick is to pull far enough past the pump so the pipe doesn't have to trail over the car. Not always possible, I agree, but it is easy enough to support the pipe away from the body. Or, you can just wait in line with all the other losers:)

Last edited:
I know :)

The trick is to pull far enough past the pump so the pipe doesn't have to trail over the car. Not always possible, I agree, but it is easy enough to support the pipe away from the body. Or, you can just wait in line with all the other losers:)

ditto just hold the pipe off the car. you might look a bit stupid but at least your not waiting 20 mins in a queue

dont care what side i go to, if its empty then i get to that side lol.
on regards to my earlier post, i got 543.6 miles from my tank on my recent trip. (60 litre tank) probaly would have had more but gave it some welly on the way home as i was feeling a bit ill from the water up that way. very very limey compared to home.

Hi again guys.
several different points through these replies to the original SO.....
I am prepared to wait in a short line for the pump.
with a long queue might pass that station (Remember Ishould have up to 50mls left!!)
There are some moronic drivers though!
We pulled into Morrisons station in Brid a while ago and yes there was queues on each pump.We waited patiently and when the 1st in line on 1st pump went to pay the 2nd pumper got ready to go. The 1st was returning from paying but the moron in front of us pulled to the 2nd pump blocking us.When I pulled him on it he said I go go round! Of course some other driver had already seen the free pump and bingo!!
Obviously I took the idiots plate. I don't want to be near HIM on the road if he cannot read obvious 'signs' lol
Now I know that modern cars have probably got totally sealed light clusters and sealed plugs (or injectors??) but..... Are we not still supposed to switch off lights and engines in a petrol station??, and not be smoking!!
Has anyone (you Emergency guys???) ever seen a petrol fire? Petrol can
ignite from a spark over quite a distance!
Surely, better to be safe than sorry.
Finally, is it fair to call us losers if we are prepared to wait?
Do you reallyneed to be able to continue on your travels with the minimum of delay.
Almost all cars can do 100 without strain, cannot you make up any 'lost' time