Fiat 2.0l Turbo 16v engine into a Punto 1.8 HGT

nandojem

Car
Fiat Punto 1.8 HGT
Hi everyone!!

I own the only Punto 1.8 HGT in my country as they were not really sold here, and this one came through on special order. Now this whole tuning scene has taken off, everyone is starting to modify their cars, except our culture is VW Golfs, Toyotas Conquests, etc.

I recently got hold of a Fiat Coupe engine 2.0 L 16VALVE Turbo and would like to know if there are members out there that can either assist me with info on the engine swap, difficulty, does it work for the HGT????

Please help, they are taking me down at the Robots!.......

It's possible and been done before several times, but not straight-forward. Custom mounts are needed and you need to splice the Coupe loom into the HGT one. The exhaust will need to be adapted and you have to be creative with the boost pipes too.

I couldn't tell you exactly what needs to be done loom wise with the HGT though as I'm more of a Mk1 guy and the HGT is pretty different compared to all the other Mk1 and Mk2 Puntos.

Hassle tbh. If it were me I'd supercharge it and settle for 160-170bhp on low boost. Or buy a Mk1 GT :lol:

It's possible and been done before several times, but not straight-forward. Custom mounts are needed and you need to splice the Coupe loom into the HGT one. The exhaust will need to be adapted and you have to be creative with the boost pipes too.

I couldn't tell you exactly what needs to be done loom wise with the HGT though as I'm more of a Mk1 guy and the HGT is pretty different compared to all the other Mk1 and Mk2 Puntos.

Hassle tbh. If it were me I'd supercharge it and settle for 160-170bhp on low boost. Or buy a Mk1 GT :lol:

Thanks mate

I guess that plan might not be so good then, because we dont really have anyone around with the expertise to help me out. Good thing my deposit is refundable!

Do you perhaps have ideas on going the supercharged route?...Has anyone did it before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterAuron View Post

Hassle tbh. If it were me I'd supercharge it and settle for 160-170bhp on low boost. Or buy a Mk1 GT

this sounds like a awfull lot of work for a engine swap....if u dont have anyone with exp than supercharging will be a problem aswell...
i recomend u find other engine that will easily fit in your car without customiseing,but stil is powerfull and have potencial for tuning...engine swap is not dificult when there is no customiseing...
but u got to know that if u supercharge your stock engine u need to do other mods if u want your car to be relayable.u need to lower the compression of your engine becouse of prematuraly igniteing the fuel,and this will destroy your engine.u will also need to uprate your fuleing.If u go for supercharger go for intercooler aswell couse supercharger will aditionaly heat your air,and u want your air to as coold as it can,couse cold air caries more oxigen,and more oxigen means more power...anyway here a article about supercharging engine here on Torquecars...

http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/superchargers-guide.php

Pretty much nothing better than the 1.8 HGT will fit in the Mk2 without custom mounts. ITBs, cams, and standalone EMS? If you have a spare few grand handy of course.

Pretty much nothing better than the 1.8 HGT will fit in the Mk2 without custom mounts. ITBs, cams, and standalone EMS? If you have a spare few grand handy of course.

Spoke to the guys at Italtecnica, and they have a supercharger kit for the HGT...cost a few grand but the results (180bhp) seems promising....thing is, i like the car coz its one of a kind over here, now just need the power!!

ok man glad u found the place,but anyway is it worth spending that much money in a punto?i mean u get the power but u still wont have a sport car...for the money ull spend in it u could buy a car that bouth have the power as a sport car and handles like a sport car..im just sugesting what would i do...but everyone have his own opinion soo dont take it too seriosly:bigsmile::bigsmile:

180bhp in a punto would still be pretty handy. And being the only one in his country would be satifying to own i think.

Hello there, may I wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars, and I hope you enjoy the forums as much as we all do.

welcome mate.
i do really wonder how's the african tuning scene.
putting a 20 at the HGt it's gonna open to you a lot more stuff to do than usually.
kind regards

So guys, i am still trying to figure out what i am going to do with my Punto, without wasting money.

Colombo & Bariani manufactures camshafts (mild & max), but it was mentioned when you do fit them, the ECU have to be remapped, how do you remap as thy say the ECU of the HGT can't be remapped?...has anyone done it and was there any performance gains?

Powerchips (swiss company) produces a chip that installs like a sim card in a celular phone, they claim at least 10 hp, does anyone know if those claims are true without spending 365 euro...

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back