faster than the speed of light

Re: faster thn the speed of light

It's interesting stuff. I love learning about our infinately complex universe and particles and the like.

Plenty of caution required here. Remember the cold fusion 'discovery' a few years back?

Apparently it took a shortcut through another dimension. Don't mean to geek out, but how awesome is that?!

I think this is erroneous. The two atomic clocks either end of the experiment are interconnected using signals that run at, guess what? The speed of light. Therefore I logically deduce that it's impossible to reliably determine the speed of something move at or above the speed of light.

Anyway, what about part of the quantum theory which says you cannot observe or measure a system without in some way interacting with it or altering its behaviour?

If those particles were indeed moving at velocities above E (lightspeed) then from a stationary frame of reference, time (for those particles) would appear to be running backwards ! ! !

Last edited:

I've ordered some neutrenos from ebay and when they arrive I'll use a torch, stopwatch and fire them as I turn on the torch and see if I can recreate the results and see which is faster.

This discovery if confirmed would turn the whole world of physics on it's head.

I've ordered some neutrenos from ebay and when they arrive I'll use a torch, stopwatch and fire them as I turn on the torch and see if I can recreate the results and see which is faster.

This discovery if confirmed would turn the whole world of physics on it's head.

Basically what I've levelled at the results. You've just put in beautifully into a practical example of the flaws in this experiment. :) Like trying to measure the diameter of a grain of sand with a metre rule.

However, your neutrinos should have arrived before you even placed the order :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: if the CERN findings are correct.

If they can only measure at the speed of light, how do they know it was faster? This story, imo is complete and utter crap.

If they can only measure at the speed of light, how do they know it was faster? This story, imo is complete and utter crap.

the same way you know if something is longer than a meter by using a meter rule? they can measure up to the speed of light right? so if it's faster it's off the scale? just my opinion...

They know the speed of light, so if a neutron arrives at it's destination before the light does, then it's moving faster. it's more likely to be a glitch in the system somewhere. but still very interesting.

To be fair this is why they are opening up the results to the rest of the scientific community, as they do know it is bizarre.

Exactly! A finding as controversial as this will need to be checked and rechecked by independent scientific bodies around the world to prove or disprove the results.
Personally I am a little intrigued by this and will be following this with great interest.

Exactly! A finding as controversial as this will need to be checked and rechecked by independent scientific bodies around the world to prove or disprove the results.
Personally I am a little intrigued by this and will be following this with great interest.

that is if you can keep up! :p

"In other news, Chuck Norris returns from his trip to Geneva"

Roundhouse kicked a particle

On a serious note, I can feel the word "inconclusive" already floating it's way to the surface.

It's the same thing that happens anytime someone make a significant scientific breakthrough. 10,000 people come, they all test it, Some will be able to do it, some won't. Then they'll call the test inconclusive, and the original scientists will magically stop getting funding.

Last edited: