Extra Auxiliary Box

x5ammiebabyx

Car
Focus Zetec 1.8
Hi All...Newbie here

Ive recently passed my test and bought a 2002 silver Focus Zetec 1.8

I really want to spruce it up as its a little boring

I bought the Haynes Maxpower Focus Modifying Manual from Halfords

Ive been looking at fitting neons in footwells etc and LED lights in heater vents but all the lights run from cigarette lighter

In the Manual it shows you how to fit an extra auxiliary box for the mods so i dont have to run them all throught the cigerette lighter, my problem is it doesnt actually tell you WHAT I NEED to fit it...any advice?

Sammie

Hi,thanks for the reply
We popped into Halfords for advice-they actually tried to talk me out of doing the auxiliary box (how rude) saying it would be dangerous to do it without having electrical knowhow-they wanted me to pay them stupid money to do it for me...but the did say if i am going to go ahead with it anyway Id need fuse box (£15) Male and female crimp connectors (99p each from Homebase) Ring terminal (£1.09 from Homebase) and wire (which I'm getting tomorrow)
Now praying for a nice day tomorrow so we can get to work!!

Sammie

Last edited:
£15 for a fuse box :blink:
an inline fuse with 5amp, maybe 10, would have properly done for running neons.
disconnect the battery
snip the aux wire, this is the one that power the HU when the ignitions on, to the stereo and slip some heat shrink over it,
strip both ends and strip one end of the inline fuse
twist all three together and solder.
pull the heat shrink over the solder and apply heat (lighters good enough for this)
strip the other side and put a spade connector on it ( if not long enough solder and cover a length of wire to make it long enough and add the spade connector to this )
connect the spade connector to a switch (very important)
strip and put a connector on another piece of wire
put some heat shrink on the other side
strip the other side o the fuse and put a terminal block on just now.
as you add the neons strip the positive side and add to the other side of the block.
once youve got everything happily done you can do away with the terminal block and solder the wires together then heatshrink over the top.

you need the switch in case the nice police stop you and ask to switch them off

sorry reading over that makes sense to me but if you need more help please dont hesitate to ask.
i gave up on halfauds ages ago, if i need anything from them im in and out before any one asks can i help.

also gave up on the scotch connectors as well as they dont give very good connections prefer to cut and solder the wires

LOL i did get a little confused but at the moment I'm going to try stick to the Haynes manual...that way I've got it black and white and hopefully even I wont be able to sod it up
But I will keep your instructions to had incase all goes wrong LOL

Praying for sun tomorrow :amuse:

its not really that hard once youve sat down and looked at it in front of you, helps to have a multimeter. that way you can test if its a permanently live of a switch (ignition ) live
is it the max power switch box has 4 sets of basically wing nuts, and has the ribbon cable and 4 switches on it ?

if it is its not that good mate, i found drilling out my ashtray and fitting 4 flick switchs there was a more robust option

ive jst replied to your message but because it had a link to the fusebox i picked up earlier its not put it up

i didnt realize i wast allowed to post links

the fuse box looks abit like a rowing boat with lots of oars coming off it

lol thats best i can explain

We shall see what happens tomorrow and let you know

Thanks again

Sammie

no worries 5more posts and you can post links images etc.
authorised it for you

with that style of fuse box youll need to link up one side to a permanant live.
the other side that you link up the lights. just means that you need more fuses.
if your going to draw large currents, which i doubt you will with neons, you should look towards fitting a line to the battery and have an relay switching the power to the fusebox using a ignition line. this way you can acciently leave anything on. talking from experiance here nothing worse than a flat battery because youve left something on

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back