Engine Speed Sensor

johnnairn

Wrench Pro
Car
A3 1.8T Quattro
I have the slight problem of my car just cutting out... usually when I come to a stop at a set of lights but has now started doing it at slightly more concerning points of a journey, no brakes and no power steering is not fun!

So the car just randomly dies without any warning or spluttering, it takes a fair while to restart, but by cranking the engine, it eventually fires and the EPC light is lit and the revs are set higher at about 1,100. Is this the early signs of my engine speed sensor failing? Or could it just be a dodgy connection?

The fault code is: 16705 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Implausible Signal : P0321

I can see the sensor sat on the front of the gear box, but can't follow the wire, I presume it's more easily accessed from underneath? How easy is it to change?

Any idea how much it will set me back!? Car is a 51 plate, engine code ARY...

Cheers!

My sisters car had the same symptoms but with the 'check engine' warning light. After taking the battery on & off it miraculously stoped & never did it again.

If only mine could be sorted like that!

Bought a replacement off the internet, based on the p/n Audi gave me which was A06A 906 433 C, however the old p/n was A06A 906 433 L... The new one is 30cm long, the old one is about 15cm... Can anyone shed some light on this, have Audi changed their numbering? Or was the one on the internet I bought wrongly numbered?

It sounds like you have one for an A4 which is longer due to the longitudinal engine layout (the A3 is transverse). To my knowledge they are the same part though except for the length of the lead.

dont think its for tha A4 waynne as it would have a different prefix - not to sure what it is on the A3
its not unusual for them to change the part and just modify the suffix, could be that the older ones were more prone to braking