Engine problem - help wanted

jillibean

Car
GEO Prizm 1991
Hello. I'm afraid the problem is what I fear...I have a knocking on the left side of my engine...Geo Prizm 1991 1.5 liter fuel injected...since I had a major overhaul this July, including a new gasket to repair a major oil leak, the car has been going through more oil than it ever had before.

I got really low on oil, and now there is a knock coming from the left side of the engine. What would be loose in the engine to make that noise, yet still allow it to run fine? It's obvious I don't know much about cars...

I'm a professional food server and an herbalist, mechanic classes escaped me in high school. I had no choice but to drive it today...after I filled up with oil. Could this possibly be something less serious than total engine damage?

It sounds as if a fan blade is loose, the knock increases with acceleration. Hope this doesn't sound too stupid. thank you all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Engine Question

Welcome buddy ! Most probably the problem is that you have got a bad injector or leaking HP pipes for the cylinders on the left side. Check the fuel line from the injection pump.

i would try the compression test, sounds like a stuck hydrolic valve maybe. defo doesn't sound good. any blue smoke coming from exhaust? could be bottom end bearings away. I think its about time you bought yourself a new car.