Engine oil

Just a quick question. Can any one tell me if mineral oil can be added to semi synthetic oil or vice-versa.
dont think so if you mixed duckems with normal oil it whent like salad cream

Just a quick question. Can any one tell me if mineral oil can be added to semi synthetic oil or vice-versa.

Generally yes, you can mix semi with mineral. Most semi-synthetics are pretty light on the synthetic part anyway.

A lot of so called synthetic oils are blends.

The question is this: Why would you want to mix them?

It's always best to use the exact same oil for topping up (if, indeed, it's required) as the last fill that went into the engine.

So if it has Millers XFE semi synthetic 0w/30 then use exactly the same stuff.

If you're using fully synthetic oils then my suggestion is to not mix them at all.

I Was using AMSOIL 5w/40 DEO CJ-4 in my 406 and only used the same to top up. It didn't demand much, perhaps 1/2 litre over 12,000 miles so the cost is not prohibitive.

In all - don't mix unless you HAVE to do so.

Ah right. I guess something happened to the 406? :sad2:

It's a total write off since 24 June when someone drove straight across me at about 4:40pm. I was on the major road, national speed limit (ie 60mph) and a 5 series rolled in front of me from a side junction with no attention at all.

Frankly, I'm lucky to be alive, so are the occupants of the BMW 5 series - I managed to hit the BMW in the engine bay side on with a last millisecond steering move. The BMW driver and passengers came out unharmed bar a few bruises.

I got away lightly as well, no broken bones or blood lost.

Few hours in A&E, god knows how many X-rays of my neck and spine but no significant injury to anyone at all.

I'd rather it didn't happen again though.

I'm a very observant and perceptive driver with tens of thousands of miles of experience.

None of us are immune

Blimey, glad to hear you're ok. Aye, sometimes it doesn't matter how observant you are if someone else isn't.

Ah well, time to get a new car I guess. That said, sometimes you don't want one - I'm happy with my Bora, it took me a while to find one in as good condition for the price and I wouldn't want to have to do that again any time soon.