Engine Blocks

dpsubaru

The Torque Meister
Car
Subaru WRX Turbo 04
Ok, so this may sound a bit silly but trying to think of ways to get a modified engine block on the cheap.

Does anyone know if you can just buy an alloy lump (literally just a large rectangular block) of alloy that can be machined out to produce an engine block from or are they all produced through the casting method? This would obviously be a long time consuming job producing a workable engine through this method but this is more a theoretical question? (at the moment in any case although if available my brother may look at doing something on this as he loves these difficult technical projects).

Ok, so this may sound a bit silly but trying to think of ways to get a modified engine block on the cheap.

Does anyone know if you can just buy an alloy lump (literally just a large rectangular block) of alloy that can be machined out to produce an engine block from or are they all produced through the casting method? This would obviously be a long time consuming job producing a workable engine through this method but this is more a theoretical question? (at the moment in any case although if available my brother may look at doing something on this as he loves these difficult technical projects).
cant see why not. i like the ider too, on this bike forum years ago some bloke made his own if i can fine that link i will pass on if you want

ya you can do it i know someone that made his own rotery engine from scrach

but you need all the right tools to do it

but why not make your one better

Yes, if you understand C.A.D, have a C.N.C. machine, the ability to programme it all and a couple of hundred K to buy it with.

Here is a good video to watch. There's plenty more if you search for them.

CAD is sorted - my brothers a mechanical engineer and uses it all the time - CNC -, umm, due to cost would need to send this off to get done and then maybe its not worth it.