emissions???

mbw1406

Wrench Pro
Car
mitsubishi gto twin
Brought the GTO in for the Irish equivalent of the mot today and it failed on the exhaust emisions. Im thinking my catalytic convertor is screwed but would there be any other reasons for this to happen as the warning light for the cat is not coming on in the dash. The emission readings were extremely high, its like there is no cat there at all!!

It's normally the lambda sensor but without knowing your emissions readings i can't help much more. Do you have the print out ?.

p.s. The Cat warning light is just a temp overheat light, not a failure light.

It's normally the lambda sensor but without knowing your emissions readings i can't help much more. Do you have the print out ?.

p.s. The Cat warning light is just a temp overheat light, not a failure light.

Dont know much about these readings or what they mean but this is whats on the printout
CO 1.4
HC 250
Lambda 0.99
What do these mean
Thanks

As i don't know your regulations in Ireland ican only assume they are the same as over here.
Your C.O. and HC are out of spec anyway. Lambda should be 0.87 - 1.03 [pass]
HC = 200 max [fail]
C.O. .30 max [fail]

A couple of questions. What year is the GTO and was it first registered prior to August 31st 1992 ?
If you don't have a Cat, you probably have no chance of getting it through the emissions test.
To help, i would fit a new fuel filter and maybe an injector service.
Was the car tested with the engine fully hot, again if cold it has no chance of passing.

Its a '94 GTO and I'd say UK limits are near enough the same as ours. I have a second hand cat and lambda sensor ordered so when I get them on I'll bring it for the test again and hopefully it will pass. Is servicing the injectors a big job? What is the procedure for doing it.

We service injectors at the workshop, we have an ASNU machine for that purpose. If it came to it and you needed them done, i'd send you a set of serviced and matched injectors so you could get them done without the car being off the road. You could then return the old set when they have been swapped over.
Get the cat sorted first and make sure the test is done with it fully hot.
If you struggle, call me at the workshop.

Thanks for that. Do you think the additives such as "redex" etc which are supposed to reduce emissions are any good, or are they a waste of time and money?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back